This is Questions Set #3, under our new segment ‘Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series’. Mains High Value Answer Writing is a UPSC mains oriented program from ClearIAS.com that consists of 5 questions in each post, published around 8 pm every day. Each of the 5 questions are selected from 5 papers mentioned in UPSC Mains syllabus namely Essay, GS1, GS2, GS3 and GS4 (ethics). Selected questions of high probability to be asked UPSC mains are included in each of these mini tests. Aspirants can choose any question they wish to answer in the comment space provided below, specifying the question number and question topic.
Archives of Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series
You can access archives of Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series from the hyperlink. Aspirants are advised to check the model answers and feedback given for previous entries to write better answers.
Questions for Answer Writing – Selections for today:
- Essay Paper: Increasing Juvenile Crimes (1500 words)
- GS 1 Paper: [Indian Society] – Should India promote Hindi as a link language at the age of globalization? Analyze. Link language is not an absolute necessity for Indian nationalism. Critically evaluate. (200 words)
- GS 2 Paper: [G8/Russia] – Trace the reasons that led to the expulsion of Russia from G8? Does G8 truly represent the the most powerful economies of the world. Analyze (200 words)
- GS 3 Paper: [Indian Economy] – Though reduction of interest rates is necessary to revive the industrial sector, RBI is hesitant to bring a major change soon. Analyse the monitory policy justifications for the same.(200 words)
- GS 4 Paper: [Ethics case study] – 2013 Question: You are working as an Executive Engineer in the construction cell of a Municipal Corporation and arepresentlyin-chargeofthe construction of a flyover. There are two Junior Engineersunderyouwhohavethe responsibility of day-to-day inspection of the site and are reporting to you, while you are finally reporting to the Chief Engineer who heads the cell. While the construction is heading towards completion, the Junior Engineers have been regularly reporting that all construction is taking place as per design specifications. However, in one of your surprise inspections, you have noticed some serious deviations and lacunae which, in your opinion, are likely to affect the safety of the flyover. Rectification of these lacunae atthisstagewouldrequire a substantial amount of demolition and rework which will cause a tangible loss to the contractor and will also delay completion. There is a lot of public pressure on the Corporation to get this construction completed because of heavy traffic congestion in the area. When you brought this matter to the notice of the Chief Engineer, he advised you that in his opinion it is not a veryseriouslapseandmay be ignored. He advised for further expediting the project for completion in time. However,youare convinced that this was a serious matter which might affectpublicsafetyandshould not be left unaddressed.What will you do in such a situation? Some of the options are given below. Evaluate the merits and demerits of each of these options and finally suggest what course of action you would like to take, giving reasons. (250 words)
- Follow the advice of the Chief Engineer and go ahead.
- Make an exhaustive report of the situation bringing out all facts and analysis along with your own viewpoints stated clearly and seek for written orders from the chief Engineer.
- Call for explanation from the Junior Engineers and issue orders to the contractor for necessary correction within targeted time.
- Highlight the issue so that it reaches superiors above the Chief Engineer.
- Considering the rigid attitude of the Chief Engineer, seek transfer from the project or report sick.
Rules and Regulations: Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing
Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing is a free program from ClearIAS.com. Any UPSC aspirant, interested to polish his/her writing skills or to learn the art of writing high value answers to boost the score in UPSC Civil Services Mains can participate in it. The official team from ClearIAS.com may review selected answers, and guide aspirants to improve the answer structure. Fellow aspirants, experienced candidates or toppers can also comment and suggest improvements for each of the answers. The platform is free and open to public with a view of better sharing and learning. You can read more about the Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series objectives and rules in the hyperlink.
PS: Aspirants can select any question they wish to answer in the comment space provided below specifying the question number and question topic. Answering 3-4 questions, does not take much of your time. But for those who engage regularly in answer writing, the resultant score improvement in actual UPSC exam would be exponential.