To get a quick understanding of the essential books for UPSC Preparation, ClearIAS.com has published three main lists so far: (1) IAS Prelims + Mains Books, (2) IAS Prelims Books and (3) IAS Mains Books. These three lists were prepared selecting the useful books available in Amazon. In this post we are listing out the recommended books for UPSC exam preparation as available in Flipkart. If aspirants want to buy from Flipkart they can use this page. The books are the same, we have just updated the links for purchase. Aspirants can buy books online at discounted prices by clicking on each links.
Essential IAS Books For UPSC Prelims (Click on the links to buy online)
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Ancient Past – R.S. Sharma. (History)
- History Of Medieval India – Satish Chandra. (History)
- The Wonder That Was India – A.L. Bhasham. (Culture)
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania. (Culture)
- Geography of India – Majid Husain. (Geography)
- Oxford School Atlas – Oxford. (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong. (Geography)
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth. (Polity)
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh. (Economy)
- Economic Survey (2014-15). (Economy)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Science and Technology)
- Environmental Studies from Crisis to Cure 2nd Edition – R.Rajagoplan. (Environment)
- Environment for Civil Services Prelims and Mains – Khuller. (Environment)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook. (Current Affairs)
- CSAT Paper – 2 Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant (CSAT – Paper 2: All Topics)
- Analytical Reasoning – M. K. Pandey (CSAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning)
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R. S.Aggarwal (CSAT Paper 2: Reasoning)
Additional IAS Books for UPSC Mains (Click on the links to buy online)
- Contemporary Essays by Ramesh Singh OR 151 ESSAYS For UPSC Mains (Essay Paper)
- India After Gandhi – Ramchandra Guha (History – GS1)
- Norman Lowe OR History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur(World History – GS1)
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja. (Indian Society – GS1)
- IAS Mains General Studies Paper 2 (Arihant Manual – GS2)
- Governance in India for CSE. (Governance – GS2)
- Pax Indica – Shashi Tharoor. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- India and the World by Surendra Kumar. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- IAS Mains General Studies – GS3. (Arihant Manual – GS3)
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude. ( Ethics – GS4)
- IAS Mains General Studies – Ethics. ( Arihant Manual – GS4)
PS: Many books for UPSC Civil Service Main Exam overlap with books recommended for Prelims, except the mentioned additional books for topics like Foreign Relations, Internal Security, Ethics etc.
IAS Books for Optional Subjects and Additional Reference (Click on the links to buy online)
IAS Manuals and Previous Year Question Papers (Click on the links to buy online)
- General Studies For Civil Services Preliminary Examination – TMH. (GS Problem Solving)
- UPSC Civil Services Prelims in 60 days – Rakesh Dwivedi. (Revision)
- IAS Prelims 20 Years General Studies Topic-Wise Solved Papers – Disha.
- IAS (Pre.) Solved Papers General Studies with CSAT papers – Arihant.
- IAS Mains Civil Services Main Examination: General Studies Chapter-wise Solved Papers.
IAS Books in Hindi Language
For many of the books listed above, corresponding books in Hindi language are available in the market. Hindi medium students may check the link UPSC Books in Hindi Language to buy online at discounted prices.
Books for Other Exams (Click on the links to buy online)
UPSC Books at Online Stores! (Click on the links to buy online)
Free Online Resources For IAS Prelims and Mains (Click on the links to buy online)
- NCERT Books Download.
- Yojana Magazine Download.
- Kurukshetra Magazine.
- Pratiyogita Darpan Magazine.
- IGNOU Books.
- Clear IAS Online Study Materials.
How to find the right books for UPSC/IAS prepration?
If you are a fresher in the UPSC preparation field, the best way to select useful books for preparation is by referring what previous year toppers had studied. Adding below a few must-check links.
- Toppers’ Book list/Study materials – In Toppers’ interview module.
- Book Review – Review of UPSC Books.
- UPSC Books Search – Direct check in Flipkart website