Sociology has turned out as a crucial part for GS paper well as optional paper in Civil Services Examination. Being considered as one of the easiest and generalist optional, around 3000-4000 candidates take Sociology each year as their optional subject for mains. An in-depth understanding about Indian society and sociological thinkers is essential.
Being a traditional hot favorite, plenty of books and study-materials are available in the market. For clarity regarding the subject, the below mentioned books can help.
Recommended Books for Sociology – Civil Services Books – Mains Exam
- Sociology Themes and Perspectives – Michael Haralambos, Martin Holborn
- Society In India: Concepts, Theories And Recent Trends – Ram Ahuja
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja
- Sociology – Anthony Giddens
- Sociological Theory – George Ritzer
- Oxford Dictionary Of Sociology
- Modernization Of Indian Tradition – Yogendra Singh
- Sociological Thought – Francis Abraham, John Henry Morgan
- Social Change In Modern India – M. N. SRINIVAS
- Caste Its Twentieth Century Avatar – M. N. SRINIVAS
- Persistence and Change in Tribal India – M.V. Rao
- Social Background of Indian Nationalism – A. R. Desai
- Indian editions of the imported books may cost you less. But, make sure that the book has not compromised on quality and content.
- Old NCERT on sociology is a good source.
- For current aspects of Sociology, EPW magazine is a good read.