This is question set #1 of ‘ClearIAS UPSC CSE 2016 Mains 30-day Answer Writing Program (AWP)’. AWP is a UPSC mains oriented program from ClearIAS.com that consists of 5 questions in each post, published (around 8 pm) every day. Each of the 5 questions are selected from 5 papers mentioned in UPSC Mains syllabus namely Essay, GS1, GS2, GS3 and GS4 (ethics). Browse archives here.
Questions for Answer Writing – Selections for today:
- Essay Paper: War does not determine who is right, but only who is left. (1000-1200 words – 125 marks)
- GS 1 Paper: India is already facing a water crisis—and it is only going to get worse. Critically examine this statement. (200 words – 12.5 marks)
- GS 2 Paper: India’s performance in the new Health Index raises many questions. Evaluate reasons for poor performance of India in the health sector. Also give suggestions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) related to health. (200 words – 12.5 marks)
- GS 3 Paper: Bank consolidation in India may create more risks than benefits. Critically evaluate the statement in the backdrop of the long term benefits of bank consolidation. (200 words – 12.5 marks)
- GS 4 Paper: ‘Doing the right thing doesn’t automatically bring success. But compromising ethics almost always leads to failure’. Explain with examples. (150 words – 10 marks)
We have revised our marking scheme for our model tests, taking into account the latest trends in UPSC evaluation. Always keep in mind that content of the answer is more important than its length. Credit will be given to the grasp of the question, to the point answer, brevity, knowledge, clarity of expression etc.
Considering that toppers score 380-420 marks in GS papers out of 1000, we consider 40% marks for any answer as ‘above average’. The GS marks of AIR1 for last 3 years is: Gaurav Agrawal (2013) -338/1000; Ira Singhal (2014) – 455/1000; Tina Dabi (2015) – 424/1000. Please have a look at our marking scheme for the 30-day AWP for 2016 Mains.
- 0-19% – Not satisfactory.
- 20%-29% – Needs improvement.
- 30%-39% – Good answer.
- 40%-49% – Above Average Answer.
- 50%-59% – Excellent Answer.
- 60% and above – Exceptional Answer.
Note: Aspirants can select any question they wish to answer in the comment space provided below specifying the question. Though we encourage to type answers for better readability, those who wish to write in paper using pen can also do the same. If you prefer the ‘pen and paper way’, then you need to scan your answers and upload in Google drive and share the link via comments. All the best!