Hearty congrats to all regular readers of clearias.com who cleared UPSC Prelims 2014. Many participants of Clear IAS Mains High-Value Answer Writing Test Series shared their happiness with Clear IAS Team, and these moments of joy motivates us to work harder for our readers. Clear IAS Team will keep writing articles on conventional and current topics under our Prelims cum Mains Integrated approach to clear IAS.
We expect candidates to participate in Clear IAS Mains High-Value Answer Writing Test Series with extra energy and enthusiasm. With 5 questions a day, we have already covered more than 200 high probability questions for UPSC Mains, for FREE! In coming days, we have more plans for personal guidance for our regular readers/participants. Readers of clearias.com who cleared Prelims may add their names in the comment section so that we can share additional documents/links we come across with you.
This is question set #44 of ‘Clear IAS Mains High-Value Answer Writing Test Series’. Mains High Value Answer Writing is a UPSC mains oriented program from ClearIAS.com that consists of 5 questions in each post, published around 8 pm every day. Each of the 5 questions are selected from 5 papers mentioned in UPSC Mains syllabus namely Essay, GS1, GS2, GS3 and GS4 (ethics). Selected questions of high probability to be asked UPSC mains are included in each of these mini tests. Aspirants can choose any question they wish to answer in the comment space provided at the bottom portion of this page, specifying the question.
Questions for Answer Writing – Selections for today:
- Essay Paper: The mobile revolution is just beginning. (1500 words)
- GS 1 Paper: [Indian History/Colonial rule ] – The numbers of British in India were small, yet they were able to rule two-thirds of the subcontinent directly and exercise considerable leverage over the princely states that accounted for the remaining one-third of the area. Comment. (200 words)
- GS 2 Paper: [Diaspora/ Indian Americans] Indian diaspora in US is the fastest growing population among Asian countries. Analyze the social, economic and political profile of Indian Americans with their significant contributions. (200 words)
- GS 3 Paper: [Science and Technology/2G, E, 3G, H, H+ and LTE] Explain the differences between the below technologies mentioning the salient features. (a) EDGE (b) UMTS (c) HSDPA (d) HSPA (e) LTE. (200 words)
- GS 4 Paper: [Ethics Case Study] You as an administrator is responsible for implementing a major infrastructure project in a locality. Considering the development needs of the locality, this project was long overdue. But at the same time, there are also environmentalconcernsregarding this project. The highest bidder for the project, a reputed firm XYZ,is run by a friend of you. He has already spend lakhs of rupees for campaigning and creating public awareness about the benefits of the project. While you are almost ready to give sanction to XYZ, you get a letter from the an NGO that this project will badly affect the ecosystem of the area if implemented. They have also threatened of mass protest, if you go ahead with the project. Considering this situations,
- What are the options available to you?
- Evaluate each of these options and choose the option which you would adopt, giving reasons.
Archives of Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series
You can access archives of Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series from the hyperlink. Aspirants are advised to check the model answers and feedback given for previous entries to write better answers.
Note from Clear IAS Team
We have been noticing great improvement in the answer quality and comprehension skills in regular participants in Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Program. Our vision is to cover most of the important conventional and current topics for mains, so that serious and deserving aspirants who participate in this free program are always one step ahead in the competition. We have already seen many excellent answers from serious participants. Regarding evaluation, in the first 30 days, Clear IAS Team had been giving overall guidelines to write a good, high value answer, but in the coming days, we plan to award marks, so that aspirants will get a realistic idea about the UPSC expectations and quality they need to maintain in the answer.
Please note: Last year the toppers’ marks for General Studies varied from 300-400 out of 1000. (2013 CSE AIR 1, Gaurav Agrawal scored 338/1000 for GS). This means, 4 marks out of 10 for every answer in UPSC exam was excellent performance as far as 2013 mains GS was concerned. So our marking scheme too would be keeping those figures in mind. Please have a look at our marking scheme for coming days:
- 0.0-1.9/10 – Not satisfactory.
- 2.0-2.4/10 – Average.
- 2.5-2.9/10 – Good.
- 3.0-3.9/10 – Excellent.
- 4.0+/10 – Exceptional.
Rules and Regulations: Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing
Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing is a free program from ClearIAS.com. Any UPSC aspirant, interested to polish his/her writing skills or to learn the art of writing high value answers to boost the score in UPSC Civil Services Mains can participate in it. The official team from ClearIAS.com may review selected answers, and guide aspirants to improve the answer structure. Fellow aspirants, experienced candidates or toppers can also comment and suggest improvements for each of the answers. The platform is free and open to public with a view of better sharing and learning. You can read more about the Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series objectives and rules in the hyperlink.
PS: Aspirants can select any question they wish to answer in the comment space provided below specifying the question. Answering 3-4 questions, does not take much of your time. But for those who engage regularly in answer writing, the resultant score improvement in actual UPSC exam would be exponential.