This is question set #46 of ‘Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series’. Mains High Value Answer Writing is a UPSC mains oriented program from ClearIAS.com that consists of 5 questions in each post, published around 8 pm every day. Each of the 5 questions are selected from 5 papers mentioned in UPSC Mains syllabus namely Essay, GS1, GS2, GS3 and GS4 (ethics). Selected questions of high probability to be asked UPSC mains are included in each of these mini tests. Aspirants can choose any question they wish to answer in the comment space provided at the bottom portion of this page, specifying the question.
Questions for Answer Writing – Selections for today:
- Essay Paper: Is it time to abolish Rajyasabha to improve governance?. (1500 words)
- GS 1 Paper: [World History/USSR] – The breakup of the Soviet Union transformed the entire world political situation, leading to a complete reformulation of political, economic and military alliances all over the globe. What were the reasons for disintegration of USSR? (200 words)
- GS 2 Paper: [Polity/ Rajyasabha] Equal representation to all states in Rajyasabha can make it more federal and inclusive. Critically evaluate. (200 words)
- GS 3 Paper: [Science and Technology/Navigation Satellite Systems] Compare the main Navigation Satellite Systems in the world. Evaluate the progress in implementation of IRNSS. (200 words)
- GS 4 Paper: [Ethics Case Study]Ramu is an IAS officer.Ramu’s father is law is a leading contractor.Ramu always cherished the family relations. His father in law never troubled him with any illegal requests, but today he came toRamu’s office asking for a favour. While analysing the file on the case,Ramu found that the request from his father in law is illegal at the date mentioned in the file. But Government has recently passed a bill, making the things mentioned in the file legal, though there is no retrospective application of the same.Ramu when presented his dilemma before his wife, she told him to make minor change in the date, so that everything will be legal.Ramu though an honest and ethical officer, he is still in a dilemma as he don’t want tomake an action against the wishes of his loving wife and father in law. Considering this situation,
- What are the options available to Ramu?
- Evaluate each of these options and choose the option which Ramu should adopt, giving reasons.
Archives of Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series
You can access archives of Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series from the hyperlink. Aspirants are advised to check the model answers and feedback given for previous entries to write better answers.
Note from Clear IAS Team
We have been noticing great improvement in the answer quality and comprehension skills in regular participants in Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Program. Our vision is to cover most of the important conventional and current topics for mains, so that serious and deserving aspirants who participate in this free program are always one step ahead in the competition. We have already seen many excellent answers from serious participants. Regarding evaluation, in the first 30 days, Clear IAS Team had been giving overall guidelines to write a good, high value answer, but in the coming days, we plan to award marks, so that aspirants will get a realistic idea about the UPSC expectations and quality they need to maintain in the answer.
Please note: Last year the toppers’ marks for General Studies varied from 300-400 out of 1000. (2013 CSE AIR 1, Gaurav Agrawal scored 338/1000 for GS). This means, 4 marks out of 10 for every answer in UPSC exam was excellent performance as far as 2013 mains GS was concerned. So our marking scheme too would be keeping those figures in mind. Please have a look at our marking scheme for coming days:
- 0.0-1.9/10 – Not satisfactory.
- 2.0-2.4/10 – Average.
- 2.5-2.9/10 – Good.
- 3.0-3.9/10 – Excellent.
- 4.0+/10 – Exceptional.
Rules and Regulations: Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing
Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing is a free program from ClearIAS.com. Any UPSC aspirant, interested to polish his/her writing skills or to learn the art of writing high value answers to boost the score in UPSC Civil Services Mains can participate in it. The official team from ClearIAS.com may review selected answers, and guide aspirants to improve the answer structure. Fellow aspirants, experienced candidates or toppers can also comment and suggest improvements for each of the answers. The platform is free and open to public with a view of better sharing and learning. You can read more about the Clear IAS Mains High Value Answer Writing Test Series objectives and rules in the hyperlink.
PS: Aspirants can select any question they wish to answer in the comment space provided below specifying the question. Answering 3-4 questions, does not take much of your time. But for those who engage regularly in answer writing, the resultant score improvement in actual UPSC exam would be exponential.