We had discussed Central Schemes and Centrally Sponsored Schemes in our earlier posts. Candidates appearing for most exams (like those conducted by UPSC, SSC or PSCs) have to understand the details of various schemes. In this post, let’s see how to get a grasp of the most recent scheme of the Central Government – Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) – in quick time.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Aim: To provide skills training for the youth.
- Implementing Ministry: Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (through the National Skill Development Corporation).
- Coverage: 24 lakh persons.
- Primary focus: Class 10 and 12 dropouts.
- Initial Outlay: 1500 crore. (Not much when compared to other areas of Government spending. Youth often don’t get the attention they deserve!)
Is PMKVY a totally new scheme?
No. UPA Government had launched a National Skill Development Mission in 2010 consisting of following three institutions:
- Prime Minister’s National Council on Skill Development
- National Skill Development Coordination Board
- National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), a non-profit company, funded initially by the trust “National Skill Development Fund”.
National Policy on Skill Development (NPSD) approved by the previous government had set a target for skilling 50 crore persons by the year 2022. NSDC had a target of skilling/upskilling 15 crore people by the year 2022. Also note that the new scheme, PMKVY is implemented by NSDC.
What’s special with PMKVY?
- Skill training would be done based on the National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) and industry led standards.
- Under the scheme, a monetary reward is given to trainees on assessment and certification by third party assessment bodies. The average monetary reward would be around Rs.8000 per trainee.
- Special emphasis has been given to recognition of prior learning.
- Awareness building and mobilization efforts would be focused for attention. Mobilization would be done through skill melas organized at the local level with participation of the State Governments, Municipal Bodies, Pachayati Rai Institutions and community based organizations.
Highlights of the PMKVY Skill Training
- Skill training would be done on the basis of recent skill gap studies conducted by the NSDC for the period 2013-17.
- For assessment of demand of Central Ministries/Departments/State Governments, industry and business would be consulted.
- The target for skilling under the scheme will be associated with Union Government’s flagship programmes such as Make in India, Digital India, Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and National Solar Mission.
- Primary focus of skill training is for the first time entrants to the labour market and Class 10 and Class 12 drop outs.
Implementation of the PMKVY Scheme
- The scheme would be implemented through NSDC training partners. Currently NSDC has 187 training partners that have over 2300 centres.
- In addition, Central / State Government affiliated training providers would also be used for training under the scheme.
- Focus under the PMKVY would be on improved curricula, better pedagogy and better trained instructors.
- Training would include soft skills, personal grooming, behavioral change for cleanliness, good work ethics.
- Sector Skill Councils and the State Governments would closely monitor skill training that will happen under PMKVY.
Skill Development Management System (SDMS) to verify records
- Skill Development Management System (SDMS) would be put in place to verify and record details of all training centres a certain quality of training locations and courses.
- Biometric system and video recording of the training process would be put in place where feasible.
- All persons undergoing training would be required to give feed back at the time of assessment and this would become the key element of the evaluation framework to assess the effectiveness of the PMKVY scheme.
- A robust grievance redressal system would be put in place to address grievances relating to implementation of the scheme.
- An online citizen portal would be put in place to disseminate information about the scheme
Article Contributed by: Anushka H; Edited by Clear IAS Team.
Ramkumar LS says
Thank you Sir.
Ali Khan says
dear sir..please let us know by what possible date the students is begining in PMKVY
rohit bhosale says
May this scheme brings lot of opportunities for unemployed youth of the nation.
Bakul Mandal says
This scime bring bright future
a.chandra sekar rao princilpal odisha state brigade school rayagada odisha says
dear sir, highly thankful to you
thank you for gevining this opportunity us sir 🙂
Amit Kumar Bose says
What are the differences between PMKVY & ‘Skill India’???
shashikant kumar says
this is the golded chance for poor
Anushka sharma says
Sir you are doing a great job all the very best….. hoping for the best results ….
Shashi Kant says
Placement @ 39% I don’t believe this. Though good to get facts and figures.
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas yojna
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sanchai yojna
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Vikas Yojna
pradhan mantri jan dhan yojana
pradhan mantri pension yojana
pradhan mantri adarsh gram yojana
MD ATIR HUSSAIN says
when will be held examination of pmkvy
kuldeep singh says
i need for the jov
pramod kumar says
PMKVY me printing technology course nhi juda hai kya / reply our mail.
Jolly Dsouza says
hello sir, this is very useful information for every student