Indian Administrative Service (IAS) is the dream career of millions of aspirants in the country. The same is the case with services like Indian Police Service (IPS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS) etc. Recruitment to 24 services including IAS, IPS, IFS etc is conducted via a common exam called the UPSC Civil Services Exam (CSE).
Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) is the Central Authority that takes care of the entire recruitment process.
3 stages in UPSC Civil Services Exam
UPSC Civil Services Exam (CSE) consists of 3 stages. The stages are (1) Preliminary Exam (objective) (2) Main Exam (written) and (3) Interview (personality test).
In this age of the internet, you can clear the IAS exam by self-study and online preparation.
For our online classroom program, ClearIAS gives admission to aspirants who are studying in college first year or above (usually age 18-37). If you are a school student, we suggest you start with the free resources on ClearIAS.com.
How should you start IAS preparation?
Step 1: Join ClearIAS Online Classroom Program (ClearIAS Classes)
Right guidance and proper training can greatly increase your chance of success in the UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE).
If you are thinking of starting UPSC CSE preparation, we strongly recommend you combine your self-study efforts with the smart training provided by ClearIAS.
Take admission in ClearIAS Online Classroom Program (Ultimate Batch).
This is the flagship program of ClearIAS which involves live classes and recorded classes.
The Ultimate Batch of ClearIAS Online Classroom Program (ClearIAS Classes) offers almost everything you need to crack the UPSC CSE like
- Live Classes
- Recorded Classes
- Personal Mentorship
- Textbooks and Study Materials
- ClearIAS UPSC Prelims Online Mock Test Series
- ClearIAS UPSC Mains Mock Test Series
- ClearIAS UPSC Mains Anwer Writing Practise (AWP)
- Interview Guidance etc.
Step 2: Prepare Notes based on ClearIAS Classes
ClearIAS Online Classes are two-way interactive sessions.
We strongly recommend students take down important points discussed in classes in their respective subject notebooks.
This not only increases their attention in the online classes but also greatly help them in learning and revision.
We strongly recommend the revision of class notes on a daily basis.
Step 3: Self-Study (Learn ClearIAS Notes, NCERT Textbooks and Standard Textbooks)
ClearIAS greatly reduces the hard work of aspirants and help them prepare in a focused manner. However, self-study is really crucial for success.
As mentors, we guide aspirants on how to channelise their self-efforts to remain more efficient and disciplined.
ClearIAS Live Classes are usually for 2-hours per day. For an aspirant who studies 8-hours per day, there are 6 hours left in the day. This time, we recommend aspirants to use for self-study – but in a focused manner.
Note: ClearIAS Ultimate Plan includes free delivery of 27 extremely useful standard reference textbooks to your home address (worth more than Rs.10000).
To remain efficient in preparation, we recommend aspirants to attend ClearIAS Classes from Monday to Friday and take ClearIAS Mock Exams Saturday or Sunday based on ClearIAS Timetable. However, our study plan is flexible. Students are free to attend classes or exams whenever they are comfortable doing so.
Step 4: Take ClearIAS Prelims Online Mock Exams
Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect. – Vince Lombardi
Aspirants need a perfect practice of model exams of UPSC CSE Prelims to get adapted to the requirements of UPSC. With regarding this, ClearIAS provides 4 types of mock exams packages.
- ClearIAS Prelims Online Mock Test Series – General Studies Paper 1
- ClearIAS Prelims Online Mock Test Series – General Studies Paper 2 or CSAT
- ClearIAS UPSC Previous Year Questions Re-Take Exams – General Studies Paper 1
- ClearIAS UPSC Previous Year Questions Re-Take Exams – General Studies Paper 2 or CSAT
Note: Once you join ClearIAS Online Classroom Program (Ultimate Plan), you will get access to all the four packages as part of the ClearIAS Prelims Test Series (worth more than Rs.10000).
Step 5: Take ClearIAS Mains Mock Exams. Polish your answer writing skills
As part of the ClearIAS Ultimate Plan, ClearIAS will conduct UPSC CSE Mains Answer Writing Practice (AWP) sessions. This involves expert training and feedback on how to write a high-scoring answer (quality improvement).
Once aspirants learn the methods to write a well-structured answer, we will conduct Mains Mock Exams.
ClearIAS Mains Mock Test Series are model exams simulating actual UPSC CSE Mains with expert feedback.
Step 6: Learn Optional Subject
With respect to CSE Mains, UPSC allows candidates to pick an optional subject from about 50 subjects mentioned in the UPSC Syllabus. This includes subjects like History, Geography, Political Science, Anthropology, Public Administration etc.
As optional subject varies from candidate to candidate, this is not included in the ClearIAS Ultimate Plan. ClearIAS Ultimate Plan covers everything except optional paper (ie. the General Studies portion of Prelims and Mains along with CSAT in Prelims and Essay in Mains). Aspirants should study optional subjects separately. They are free to either join ClearIAS Optional Coaching or learn the subject by self-study.
Step 7: Participate in ClearIAS Interview Program
ClearIAS Interview Program includes classes for personality development to score well in the UPSC interview. This is also included in the ClearIAS Online Classroom Program (Ultimate Plan).
For UPSC Interview, your bio-data (Detailed Application Form or DAF) is the most important thing. Try to figure out the most probable questions from the DAF. ClearIAS Team can help you with DAF analysis. Once you register for the ClearIAS Interview program, we will send you a list of the 30 most probable questions based on your DAF.
Also, take ClearIAS mock interviews to polish your communication and presentation skills.
All the best!
Text Books,Test Series, and Techniques: Success in UPSC CSE
Success in UPSC Civil Services Examination (CSE) = 50% Knowledge + 50% Skills (Strategies).
ClearIAS is a self-study + smart-study online portal for UPSC aspirants. We have been giving equal importance to the knowledge part as well as skills. Our unique products like ClearIAS Online Classroom Program and ClearIAS Prelims Online Test Series incorporate both subject-knowledge as well as exam skills.
If you join ClearIAS Online Classroom Ultimate Batch you will get all our recommended products like Test Series, Text Books, Techniques and Personal guidance – no need to purchase individual products separately.
3 ClearIAS strategies for success in the UPSC Civil Services Exam
For best results, we strongly recommend aspirants follow the three methods developed by ClearIAS in their UPSC preparation.
- ClearIAS TTT approach: We advise you to make ‘T-T-T‘ ie. ‘Textbooks’, ‘Testseries’, and ‘Techniques’ as the core part of your preparation strategy
- ClearIAS Test-based approach: Mock Exams are the fundamental basis of the ClearIAS learning program. Our method of training is such a way that aspirants learn by taking mock exams. ClearIAS Test-series – which integrates learning with test-taking – combines textbooks and techniques to make aspirants exam-ready at the earliest.
- ClearIAS Prelims-cum-Main Integrated Approach: By this method, we intend for aspirants to prepare for Mains and Prelims in an integrated manner. Overlapping topics should be combined. Non-overlapping topics (subject only for Mains) should be identified and learned separately. By following this method, aspirants will be ready to face the Main exam much earlier than other aspirants who start solely from the Prelims syllabus.
Download and Install ClearIAS Mobile Apps (FREE)
Install ClearIAS Learning App, ClearIAS Test-Prep App. and ClearIAS Classes App. You will get a lot of free study materials and guidance articles from these three apps. The apps will make your preparation quite easy and focused.
UPSC Exam Dates
Usually, UPSC conducts the Civil Services Preliminary Exam in June. The Main Exam is usually conducted in September. The Personality Test takes almost 3 months to finish. UPSC conducts the CSE interview (or personality test) in the months of February – April.
The notification for UPSC Civil Services Examination for 2021 was published on February 10, 2021. You can apply for the Civil Services Exam 2021 from February 10, 2021, until March 02, 2021.
- UPSC CSE 2021 Prelims Date: Oct 10, 2021
- UPSC CSE 2021 Mains Date: Jan 7, 2022 (7, 8, 9, 15 &16 January, 2022)
- UPSC CSE 2021 Interview Date: March – May 2022 (expected)
- UPSC CSE 2021 Final Result Date: May 2022 (expected)
Check UPSC 2021 Exam Calendar for details.
The notification for UPSC Civil Services Examination for 2022 will be published on February 02, 2022. You can apply for UPSC CSE 2022 between February 02, 2022, and February 22, 2022.
- UPSC CSE 2022 Prelims Date: June 05 2022 (Sunday)
- UPSC CSE 2022 Mains Date: September 16 2022 (5 days)
- UPSC CSE 2022 Interview Date: January-March 2023 (expected)
- UPSC CSE 2022 Final Result Date: April 2023 (expected)
New to ClearIAS.com? Find how we help you clear IAS by self-study and online preparation
Congrats on reaching the right place to learn!
ClearIAS is one of the best user-friendly websites. ClearIAS website is used by more than 1 million aspirants every month.
Links to almost all main resources we provide – study materials, pdfs, mock exams, guidance – are provided directly on the home page itself. You can access them from the header and footer menu or using home-page icons.
The following are some of our most popular resources:
- ClearIAS Classes – Online Classroom Program for UPSC CSE
- ClearIAS Exams – Online Mock Exams for UPSC CSE
- ClearIAS programs – Know about all ClearIAS programs for UPSC Prelims, Mains, and Interview.
- Free Resources – Free Study Materials, Mock Exams, or Videos for Beginners
- Premium Resources – Online Classes, Mock Exams, Books, and PDFs for Serious Aspirants
- ClearIAS Study Materials – Easy-to-Learn online notes from ClearIAS about current and conventional topics.
- UPSC Guidance – Learn what to do and what not to do for UPSC Civil Services Exam.
- IAS Books – Buy the books recommended by toppers online.
- ClearIAS ebooks (PDFs) – Fill the gaps in your learning by downloading ClearIAS PDFs.
- Downloads – Most important notes of ClearIAS are listed in the easy-to-learn order.
- ClearIAS sitemap – To understand the website structure.
- ClearIAS blog – Check our latest updates.
UPSC Civil Services Exam – The Beginner’s Guide To Success (PDF)
Apart from all the resources mentioned above, ClearIAS has also published an ebook (PDF) “UPSC Civil Services Exam – The Beginner’s Guide to Success“. You can download this book for FREE!
The ClearIAS Beginner’s Guide ebook (PDF) covers almost all of the queries of freshers (and even veterans) regarding the UPSC Civil Sevices Exam (CSE). This includes –
- UPSC Civil Services Exam Structure.
- How Should You Start IAS Preparation?
- How to clear UPSC CSE by self-study and online preparation?
- The winning strategies.
- Road Map to Success.
- Prelims cum Mains Integrated Approach.
- IAS Exam Eligibility.
- UPSC Medical Requirements.
- Latest UPSC Civil Services Exam Notification… and lots more.
ClearIAS ebook (PDF) “UPSC Civil Services Exam – The Beginner’s Guide to Success” can be a real game-changer for you!
Important Links for a Beginner
- IAS Exam Eligibility
- UPSC Syllabus
- UPSC Exam Date
- UPSC Exam Results
- UPSC Previous Year Question Papers
Beginner’s Guide to Clear IAS Prelims – UPSC CSE Guidance for the Preliminary Exam (Selected Posts)
- A Note Before You Begin IAS Preparation or Coaching.
- Smart Work for IAS Preparation.
- Strategy and Books for Early Birds To Clear IAS Exam.
- How to clear Civil Services prelims?
- How can smart aspirants like you clear UPSC Prelims ‘the smart way’?
- 5 reasons why you should take more UPSC Prelims mock tests
- Civil Service Prelims 6 Month Strategy – How Can You Clear UPSC Prelims in 6 Months?
- CSAT – What is the best strategy to prepare for the CSAT?
- 100-Days Action Plan to Clear IAS Prelims
- How much time will it take to clear IAS prelims?
- IAS Books for Civil Services Prelims and Mains Exam Preparation.
For more analysis and articles on Preliminary Exam, regularly follow the category: Civil Services Prelims.
Beginner’s Guide to Clear IAS Mains – UPSC CSE Guidance for the Main Exam (Selected Posts)
- Strategy and Study Plan for Clearing the IAS Mains Exam.
- How to clear Civil Services mains?
- How To Select IAS Mains Optional As Per The Latest UPSC Syllabus?
- How To Write A Good Essay In Civil Service Mains Exam?
- What to Study for Ethics Paper in IAS Mains GS?
- World History for UPSC Mains: Understanding The Basics.
- Security and Disaster Management for UPSC Mains Exam.
- Indian Society For UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam.
For more analysis and articles on Main Exam, regularly follow the category: Civil Services Mains.
Beginner’s Guide to Clear IAS Interview – UPSC CSE Guidance for the Personality Test (Selected Posts)
- Civil Services Interview – How To Make Sure That You Clear IAS?
- IAS Interview: 25 Golden Tips for Success
- Check List For The Candidates Attending UPSC Interview
- IAS Interview Syllabus: 6 Important UPSC Clues Which You Never Noticed Before
- ClearIAS UPSC CSE Interview Program: Maximize Your Personality Test Marks!
- Up to Which Rank Can An Aspirant Get Into IAS, IPS or IFS?
- Cut-Off Marks for UPSC Civil Services Exam: Trend Analysis
For more analysis and articles on Main Exam, regularly follow the category: Civil Services Interview.