UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) is India’s central agency which conducts exams like Civil Services Exam (CSE) to recruit candidates into All-India Services (AIS) and Central Services. IAS (Indian Administrative Service) and IPS (Indian Police Service) are examples of All-India Services. UPSC traces its origin to the first Public Services Commission established in 1926 and the Federal Public Services Commission established in 1935.
- Constitutional Provisions for Union Public Service Commission
- Union Public Services Commission – Roles and Duties
- Union Public Service Commission Exams for Civil services/posts
- Union Public Service Commission Exams for Defense services/posts
- Union Public Services Commission Exam Dates
- Union Public Services Commission Exam Results
- How to Prepare for Civil Services Exam (IAS/IPS/IFS)?
- Useful links related to Union Public Services Commission
- Union Public Services Commission Chairman and Members
- Union Public Service Commission Report
The Union Public Service Commission has been established under Article 315 of the Constitution of India. The Commission consists of a Chairman and ten Members.
Union Public Service Commission has been entrusted with the following duties and roles under the Constitution like:
- recruitment to services and posts under the Union through the conduct of competitive examinations.
- recruitment to services and posts under the Central Government by selection through interviews.
- Civil Services Examination (CSE).
- Engineering Services Examination (ESE).
- Indian Forestry Services Examination (IFoS).
- Central Armed Police Forces Examination (CAPF).
- Indian Economic Service and Indian Statistical Service (IES/ISS).
- Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination.
- Combined Medical Services (CMS).
- Special Class Railway Apprentices Exam (SCRA).
- Limited Departmental Competitive Examination for selection of Assistant Commandant. (Executive) in CISF.
- National Defence Academy & Naval Academy Examination – NDA & NA (I).
- National Defence Academy & Naval Academy Examination – NDA & NA (II).
- Combined Defense Services Exam – CDS (I).
- Combined Defense Services Exam – CDS (II).
For more details regarding the dates of UPSC exams and their notifications in this year, check the calendar of exams conducted by Union Public Services Commission. If you are appearing for Prelims 2018, you can check UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam 2018 date here.
Results of all exams conducted by UPSC as well as notifications for future exams will be published on the homepage of the official website itself.
Civil Services exam is conducted in 3 phases: (1) Prelims, (2) Mains and (3) Interview. The exam window extends over a year (from June month of a year to June month next year when the results are announced).
A good understanding of the Union Public Service Commission syllabus is the first step for all freshers. Also, understand the eligibility criteria for writing the IAS/IPS exam. If you have questions in your mind, just go through our article ‘frequently asked questions on IAS exam preparation‘.
ClearIAS provide free IAS online coaching, books and free online study materials with a vision that no candidate should be left out due to the inaccessibility of expensive IAS classroom coaching. Also, refer our topper’s interview section to get better insights regarding the exam preparation.
- Cut-off marks.
- e-admit card.
- Answer keys.
- Written Results.
- Interview Details.
- Final Results.
- Mark Sheet.
|Post||Name||Date from which holding the Post||Date of retirement|
|Chairman||Prof. David R. Syiemlieh||04/01/2017 (FN)||21-01-2018|
|Member||Sh. Vinay Mittal||08/08/2013(FN)||19-06-2018|
|Member||Sh. Arvind Saxena||08/05/2015 (AN)||07-08-2020|
|Member||Prof. (Dr.) Pradeep Kumar Joshi||12/05/2015 (AN)||12-05-2021|
|Member||Sh. Bhim Sain Bassi||31/05/2016 (AN)||19-02-2021|
|Member||Air Marshal A. S. Bhonsle (Retd.)||21/02/2017 (AN)||14-02-2022|
|Member||Ms. Sujata Mehta||21/02/2017 (AN)||29-03-2022|
|Member||Dr. Manoj Soni||28/06/2017 (FN)||27-06-2023|
|Member||Ms. Smita Nagaraj||01/12/2017 (FN)||21-09-2023|
UPSC submits an annual report on the work done by it to the president.The president places the report of the commission before the parliament along with a memorandum with regard to the cases where the advice of the commission was not accepted and the reasons for such non-acceptance.