Do you struggle to get to know about the Best Books to Study Indian Society for UPSC CSE? Here in this article, we have provided the best resources to cover all the topics of Indian Society along with important topics and preparation tips.
Understanding Indian society is important for UPSC aspirants, as it forms a significant part of General Studies Paper I and is also helpful in General Studies Paper II.
To hold command over this section, an in-depth understanding of social structures, issues, etc. is very important.
Books to Study Indian Society for UPSC CSE
Let’s learn about some of the best books to study Indian society for the UPSC CSE, including NCERT textbooks. We will also highlight key focus areas for both the prelims and mains examinations.
The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) textbooks are highly recommended for studying Indian society for the UPSC exam. The following NCERT textbooks are particularly relevant:
- Class XI: Sociology: Understanding Society
- Class XI: Sociology: Introducing Sociology
- Class XII: Indian Society
- Class XII: Social Change & Development in India
These textbooks provide a detailed overview of various aspects of Indian society, including social institutions, social change, diversity, and challenges faced by different sections of society.
They are written in a student-friendly manner and include case studies, and examples as well.
Other Reference Books
In addition to NCERT textbooks, you can refer to the following books for a deeper understanding of Indian society:
- Indian Society: Themes and Social Issues by Nadeem Hasnain
- Indian Society: Structure and Change by S.C. Dubey
- Social Problems in India by Ram Ahuja
- Society in India: Concepts, Theories, and Recent Trends by A.R. Desai
Always keep in mind that you do not have to read it line by line. Instead, look at the major topics that you need to focus on and read specifically those chapters only.
Important Topics for Indian Society
We have provided a list of important topics that needed special attention.
- Salient Features of Indian Society, Diversity, and Unity
- Social Institutions in India
- Social Movements
- Gender and Society
- Women and Society
- Social Empowerment
- Social Change and Development
- Social Justice and Empowerment
- Population and Associated Issues like Migration
How to Prepare for Indian Society
Indian society plays a very significant role in the UPSC CSE. Though it’s majorly used in the UPSC CSE mains exam, does not mean it has any less relevance in the Prelims exam. It is important to prepare this portion thoroughly to score better in the civil servicess exam.
- Read NCERT textbooks on Indian Society and Sociology.
- Study the different dimensions of diversity in India, such as religious, linguistic, and regional diversity.
- Focus on a comprehensive understanding of social institutions.
- Study the roles and impact of social institutions on individuals and society.
- Take note of recent changes and emerging trends in social institutions.
- Study gender-related topics from NCERT textbooks and other reference books on Indian society.
- Stay updated with government schemes and policies promoting gender equality.
- Read about women’s movements, important women leaders, and their contributions to social change.
- Study the constitutional provisions and government initiatives for social empowerment.
- Understand the challenges faced by socially disadvantaged groups and the efforts made to uplift them.
- Study the demographic profile of India, trends in population growth, and their implications.
- Analyze the socio-economic consequences of migration and urbanization.
Tips to Study Indian Society
Here are some important tips for effective study.
- Read and Revise Regularly: Begin with NCERT textbooks on Indian Society, Sociology, and related subjects. Understand the concepts, theories, and case studies provided in these books.
- Supplement with Reference Books: Read additional reference books on Indian society, social issues, and social change (only for selected topics) to gain a broader perspective.
- Current Affairs: Stay updated with socio-cultural issues and developments through newspapers, magazines, and online sources.
- Take Notes: Make concise notes while studying, focusing on key concepts, examples, and case studies. These notes will help during revision and answer writing.
- Practice Answer Writing: Practice answering previous years’ UPSC questions on Indian society. Develop a structured approach, support your arguments with relevant examples, and do not crossword limits.
- Analytical Thinking: Develop analytical and critical thinking skills to analyze social issues and their causes, consequences, and possible solutions.
- Interdisciplinary Approach: Connect Indian society with other subjects like history, geography, economics, and governance to develop a holistic understanding.
- Mock Tests: Take mock tests specifically focused on Indian society to assess your knowledge and improve your answer writing skills.
Other Important Sources You Should Not Miss for Indian Society
To study for Indian Society, it is advisable to hold a strong basic knowledge that you can gain from standard textbooks but it is also important to enrich your knowledge with current events. All the important current affairs topics related to Indian Society are available at one place for free ClearIAS Indian Society Section.
If you find it difficult to know what to read and how to approach the Indian Society section, we have an article that describes How to study Indian Society for UPSC Civil Services Exam.
While preparing for the exam, it is important to assess the progress. In that situation, it is highly advised to enroll for ClearIAS Prelims Mock Test Series, which will help you become familiar with the type of objective questions asked in the UPSC Civil Services Exam.
Article Written By: Priti Raj