UPSC Mains 2018 – Download GS1 Question Paper – UPSC conducted the General Studies Paper 1 (GS1) Paper, as part of Civil Services Main Exam 2018 on 29-09-2018. Aspirants can now download General Studies Paper 1 (GS1) Question Paper (scroll down and use the print-PDF option).
GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 1: UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination – 2018
- Total Marks: 250 marks, Time duration: 3 hours.
- There are 20 questions printed both in ENGLISH and HINDI.
- All questions are compulsory.
- The number of marks carried by a question/part is printed against it.
- Answers must be written in the medium authorized in the admission certificate which must be stated clearly on the cover of this question-cum-answer (QCA) booklet in the space provided.
- No marks will be given for answers written in the medium other than authorized one.
- Answers to questions no. 1 to 10 should be in 150 words, whereas answers to questions no. 11 to 20 should be in 250 words.
- Keep the word limit indicated in the questions in mind.
- Any page or portion of the page left blank, must be struck off clearly.
- Safeguarding the Indian art heritage is the need of the moment. Comment (10)
- Assess the importance of the accounts of the Chinese and Arab travellers in the reconstruction of the history of India. (10)
- Throw light on the significance of the thoughts of Mahatma Gandhi in the present times. (10)
- Why is the Indian Regional Navigational Satellite System (IRNSS) needed? How does it help in navigation? (10 )
- Why is India taking a keen interest in the Arctic region? (10)
- Define mantle plume and explain its role in plate tectonics. (10)
- What are the consequences of spreading of ‘Dead Zones’ on marine ecosystem? (10)
- “Caste system is assuming new identities and associational forms. Hence, the caste system cannot be eradicated in India.” Comment. (10)
- ‘Despite the implementation of various programmes for the eradication of poverty by the government in India, poverty is still existing’. Explain by giving reasons. (10)
- How the Indian concept of secularism different from the western model of secularism? Discuss. (10)
- The Bhakti movement received a remarkable re-orientation with the advent of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu. Discuss. (15)
- Discuss whether the formation of new states in recent times is beneficial or not for the economy of India. (15)
- Why indentured labour was taken by the British from India to their colonies? Have they been able to preserve their cultural identity over there? (15)
- “The ideal solution of depleting groundwater resources in India is water harvesting system.” How can it be made effective in urban areas? (15)
- Defining blue revolution, explain the problems and strategies for pisciculture development in India. (15)
- What is the significance of Industrial Corridors in India? Identifying industrial corridors, explain their main characteristics. (15)
- Mention core strategies for the transformation of aspirational districts in India and explain the nature of convergence, collaboration and competition for its success. (15)
- ‘Women’s movement in India has not addresses the issues of women of lower social strata.’ Substantiate your view. (15)
- ‘Globalisation is generally said to promote cultural homogenisation but due to this cultural specificities appear to be strengthened in the Indian society.’ Elucidate.
- ‘Communalism arises either due to power struggle or relative deprivation.’ Argue by giving suitable illustrations. (15)
UPSC CSE General Studies Paper 1 (GS1) Question Paper: Analysis
Except 1 or 2 questions, most questions are very general in nature. Thus what matters most in this exam is how you present your answers on the exam sheet. The way candidates structure your answers, making it easy for the examiner to find your best points will be crucial.
Many of the questions are directly picked from NCERTs (Class 6-12). For example, the question of Globalisation and cultural homogenisation can be easily answered had the candidate gone through the NCERT text ‘Contemporary World Politics – Class 12 Text Book Political Science’.
Many similar questions can also be found in ClearIAS Mock Question Papers for UPSC Mains (and our archives). Hope the question paper didn’t create much trouble. Feel free to post your feedback about the question paper in the comment section below.