Nepali Literature Syllabus – Civil Services Mains Exam UPSC :
UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam Optional Subject consists of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks, making a total of 500 marks.
(Answers must be written in Nepali) Section-A
1. History of the origin and development of Nepali as one of the new IndoAryan Languages
2. Fundamentals of Nepali Grammar and phonology:
(i) Nominal forms and categories : Gender, Number, Case, Adjectives,Pronouns, Avyayas
(ii) Verbal forms and categoriesTense, Aspects, Voice, Roots and Fixes
(iii) Nepali Swara and Vyanjana;
3. Major Dialects of Nepali
4. Standardisation and Modernisation of Nepali with special reference to language movements (viz. Halanta Bahiskar, Jharrovad etc.)
5. Teaching of Nepali language in IndiaIts history and development with special reference to its socio-cultural aspects.
1. History of Nepali literature with special reference to its development in India.
2. Fundamental concepts and theories of literature :
Kavya/Sahitya, Kavya Prayojan, Literary genres, Shabda Shakti, Rasa, Alankara, Tragedy, Comedy, Aesthetics, Stylistics.
3. Major literary trends and movementsSwachchhandatavad, Yatharthavad, Astitwavad, Ayamik Movement, Contemporary Nepali writings, Postmodernism.
4. Nepali folklores (the following folkform only)- Sawai, Jhyaurey, Selo, Sangini, Lahari.
(Answers must be written in Nepali)
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed below and questions will be designed to test the candidate’s critical acumen.
1. Santa Jnandil Das-Udaya Lahari
2. Lekhnath Poudyal-Tarun Tapasi (Vishrams III, V, VI, XII, XV, XVIII only)
3. Agam Singh Giri-Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Pratidhwani (The following poems only – rasawako Chichy-ahatsanga Byunjheko Ek Raat, Chhorolai, Jaleko Pratibimba : Royeko Pratidhwani, Hamro Akashmani Pani Hunchha Ujyalo, Tihar).
4. Haribhakta Katuwal-Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi : (The following poems only – Jeevan : Ek Dristi, Yo Zindagi Khai Ke Zindagi, Akashka tara Ke Tara, Hamilai Nirdho Nasamjha, Khai Many-ata Yahan Atmahutiko Balidan Ko).
5. Balkrishna Sama – Prahlad
6. Manbahadur Mukhia – Andhyaroma Banchneharu (The following OneAct plays only – ‘Andhyaroma Banchneharu’, ‘Suskera’).
1. Indra Sundas-Sahara
2. Lilbahadur Chhetri-Brahmaputrako Chheuchhau
3. Rupnarayan Sinha-Katha Navaratna (The following stories only-Biteka Kura, Jimmewari Kasko, Dhanamatiko Cinema-Swapna, Vidhwasta Jeevan).
4. Indrabahadur Rai-Vipana Katipaya (The following stories only-Raatbhari Huri Chalyo, Jayamaya Aphumatra
Lekha-pani Aipugi, Bhagi, Ghosh Babu, Chhutyaiyo).
5. Sanu Lama-Katha Sampad (The following stories only-Swasni Manchhey, Khani Tarma Ekdin, Phurbale Gaun Chhadyo, Asinapo Manchhey).
6. Laxmi Prasad Devkota-Laxmi Nibandha Sangraha (The following essays only-Sri Ganeshaya Namah, Nepali Sahityako Itihasma Sarvashrestha Purus, Kalpana, Kala Ra Jeevan, Gadha Buddhiman Ki Guru).
7. Ramkrishna Sharma-Das Gorkha (The following essays only-Kavi, Samaj Ra Sahitya, Sahityama Sapekshata, Sahityik Ruchiko Praudhata, Nepali Sahityako Pragati).