Please find the questions in the General Studies Paper 3 (GS3) of UPSC 2020 Civil Services Mains Examination (written).
UPSC conducted the General Studies Paper 3 as part of the Civil Services Main Exam 2020 on 10-01-2021.
There were 20 questions. 10 questions were of 10 marks each, while the remaining 10 questions were of 15 marks each.
GS Paper 3 UPSC 2020 UPSC 2020 Instructions
- Total Marks: 250 marks, Time duration: 3 hours.
- There are 20 questions printed both in ENGLISH and HINDI.
- All questions are compulsory.
- The number of marks carried by a question/part is printed against it.
- Answers must be written in the medium authorized in the admission certificate which must be stated clearly on the cover of this question-cum-answer (QCA) booklet in the space provided.
- No marks will be given for answers written in the medium other than the authorized one.
- Answers to questions no. 1 to 10 should be in 150 words, whereas answers to questions no. 11 to 20 should be in 250 words.
- Keep the word limit indicated in the questions in mind.
- Any page or portion of the page left blank, must be struck off clearly.
General Studies Paper 3 Question Paper – UPSC Civil Services Main Exam (Written) 2020
- Explain intra-generational and inter-generational issues of equity from the perspective of inclusive growth and sustainable development. (Answer in 150 words) 10
- Define potential GDP and explain its determinants. What are the factors that have been inhibiting India from realizing its potential GDP? (Answer in 150 words) 10
- What are the main constraints in transport and marketing of agricultural produce in India? (Answer in 150 words) 10
- What are the challenges and opportunities of food processing sector in the country? How can the income of the farmers be substantially increased by encouraging food processing? (Answer in 150 words) 10
- What do you understand by nanotechnology and how is it helping in the health sector? (Answer in 150 words) 10
- How is science interwoven deeply with our lives? What are the striking changes in agriculture triggered off by the science-based technologies? (Answer in 150 words) 10
- How does the draft Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) Notification, 2020 differ from the existing EIA Notification, 2006? (Answer in 150 words) 10
- What are the salient features of the Jal Shakti Abhiyan launched by the Government of India for water conservation and water security? (Answer in 150 words) 10
- Discuss different types of cybercrimes and measures required to be taken to fight the menace. (Answer in 150 words) 10
- For effective border area management, discuss the steps required to be taken to deny local support to militants and also suggest ways to manage favourable perception among locals. (Answer in 150 words) 10
- Explain the meaning of investment in an economy in terms of capital formation. Discuss the factors to be considered while designing a concession agreement between a public entity and a private entity. (Answer in 250 words) 15
- Explain the rationale behind the Goods and Services Tax (Compensation to States) Act of 2017. How has COVID-19 impacted the GST compensation fund and created new federal tensions? (Answer in 250 words) 15
- What are the major factors responsible for making rice-wheat system a success? In spite of this success how has this system become bane in India? (Answer in 250 words) 15
- Suggest measures to improve water storage and irrigation system to make its judicious use under depleting scenario. (Answer in 250 words) 15
- COVID-19 pandemic has caused unprecedented devastation worldwide. However, technological advancements are being availed readily to win over the crisis. Give an account of how technology was sought to aid management of the pandemic. (Answer in 250 words) 15
- Describe the benefits of deriving electric energy from sunlight in contrast to the conventional energy generation. What are the initiatives offered by our Government for this purpose? (Answer in 250 words) 15
- What are the key features of the National Clean Air Programme (NCAP) initiated by the Government of India? (Answer in 250 words) 15
- Discuss the recent measures initiated in disaster management by the Government of India departing from the earlier reactive approach. (Answer in 250 words) 15
- What are the determinants of left-wing extremism in Eastern part of India? What strategy should Government of India, civil administration and security forces adopt to counter the threat in the affected areas? (Answer in 250 words) 15
- Analyse internal security threats and transborder crimes along Myanmar, Bangladesh and Pakistan borders including Line of Control (LoC). Also, discuss the role played by various security forces in this regard. (Answer in 250 words) 15
GS3 Question Paper Analysis
The same pattern of questions in GS Paper 1, GS Paper 2, and GS Paper 3 of UPSC CSE 2020 ie. 10*10 marks + 10*15 marks = 250 marks.
No big surprises with respect to question areas. Most of the questions from expected areas or current affairs.
Interesting to note that Covid became a repeated question theme in GS Paper 1, GS Paper 2, and GS Paper 3 of UPSC CSE 2020.
The question on Environment Impact Assessment (EIA) was an expected one. It was discussed in the book “Important Acts that Transformed India”. The question on GST too had applications of the contents of the book.
There were 3-4 questions exploring the meaning of the terms. This included questions on ‘potential GDP’, ‘nanotechnology’, ‘investment’ etc.
Another big observation is the importance given to Science and Technology. Many questions had a link with technology given the prominence technology plays in our lives since IT, Bio, and Nano booms.
Many questions like NCAP were discussed in ClearIAS Prelims Questions and YouTube videos.
Click to subscribe ClearIAS Channel not to miss any future uploads.
Hope the readers of ClearIAS did well.
Let us know in comments how do you rate this exam: Easy/Moderate/Difficult.
i want to thank you for sharing your experience. thanks for your hard work and dedication. keep continue. घर बैठे पैसे कमाना चाहते है तोह जाने सरकार की नई स्कीम को mp online हम आशा करते हैं ये आपको बहुत सहायता देगा। धन्यवाद