Oriya Literature Syllabus – Civil Services Mains Exam UPSC :
UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam Optional Subject consists of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks, making a total of 500 marks.
(Answers must be written in Oriya) Section-A
History of Oriya Language
(1) Origin and development of Oriya Language-Influence of Austric, Dravidian, Perso-Arabic and English on Oriya Language.
(2) Phonetics and Phonemics : Vowels, Consonants Principles of changes in Oriya sounds.
(3) Morphology : Morphemes (free, bound compound and complex), derivational and inflectional affixes, case inflection, conjugation of verb.
(4) Syntax : Kinds of sentences and their transformation, structure of sentences.
(5) Semantics-Different types of change in meaning Euphemism.
(6) Common errors in spellings, grammatical uses and construction of sentences.
(7) Regional variations in Oriya Language (Western, Southern and Northern Oriya) and Dialects (Bhatri and Desia).
History of Oriya Literature
(1) Historical backgrounds (social, cultural and political) of Oriya Literature of different periods.
(2) Ancient epics, ornate kavyas and padavalis.
(3) Typical structural forms of Oriya Literature (Koili, Chautisa, Poi, Chaupadi, Champu).
(4) Modern trends in poetry, drama short story, novel, essay and literary criticism.
(Answers must be written in Oriya)
Critical Study of texts –
The paper will require first hand reading of the text and test the critical ability of the candidate.
1. Sãralã Das-Shanti Parva from Mãhãbharãta.
2. Jaganãth Das-Bhãgãbate, XI Skandha-Jadu Avadhuta Sambãda.
3. Dinãkrushna Dãs-Rasakallola-(Chhãndas-16 & 34)
4. Upendra Bhanja-Lãvanyabati (Chhãndas-1 & 2)
5. Rãdhãnãth Rãy-Chandrabhãgã
6. Mãyãdhãr Mãnasinha-Jeevan Chitã
7. Satchidãnanda Routray-Kabitã-1962
8. Ramãkãnta Ratha-Saptama Ritu.
9. Manoranjan Dãs-Kãtha-Ghodã
10. Bijay Mishra-Tata Niranjanã
11. Fakir Mohan Senãpati-Chhamãna Ãthaguntha
12. Gopinãth Mohanty-Dãnãpãni
Short Story :
13. Surendra Mohãnty-Marãlãra Mrityu
14. Manoj Dãs-Laxmira Abhisara
15. Chittaranjan Dãs-Taranga O Tadit (First five essays).
16. Chandra Sekhar Rath-Mun Satyadhãrma Kahuchhi (First five essays)
Subhasmita sahoo says
Sir, i am subhasmita sahoo from odisha. I want to choose odiya as my optional paper in main exam. Paper 2 books are present bt i am confused for paper 2. Which books i followed for paper 2? Plz help me sir it’s emergency.
1st know about author, ncert of chse that help
Prakirti Jena says
how does an english medium student who has very basic knowlegde in odia (since readonly till 10th standard) start learning from the syllabus? from which books shall I start and from where can I get updates and notes on that?