Salary of an IAS Officer : Candidates opt of Civil Services not always due to attraction of salary or perks. Though the private sector may offer better packages, the list of candidates who leave their cushy job to enter public service for a lesser salary is not small. Having said that, please don’t conclude that the salary of an IAS officer is too meager. It’s not!
IAS salary structure consists of different Pay Scales: Junior Scale, Senior Scales, Super Time Scale, Above Super Time Scales etc. Each of the pay scale further consists of different pay bands.
- Junior Scale: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 5400
- Senior Time Scale : Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 6600
- Junior Administrative Grade: Pay Band: Rs 15600-39100 plus Grade Pay Rs 7600
- Selection Grade: Pay Band: Rs 37400-67000 plus Grade Pay Rs 8700
- Super Time Scale : Pay Band: Rs 37400-67000 plus Grade Pay Rs 10000
- Above Super Time Scale
- Rs 37400-67000. Plus Grade Pay of Rs 12000.
- The Apex Pay Scale of Rs 80000 (fixed). No Grade Pay.
- Cabinet Secretary Grade of Rs 90000 (fixed). No Grade Pay.
Understanding the IAS officer’s salary and allowances
The above mentioned figures are basic salaries. You may also be entitled for HRA (40% of Basic or official accommodation) , DA (the DA has increased from 72% in 2012 to 107% of of Basic Salary in 2015), TA etc. DA is revised on half yearly (January and July every year) basis depending on the inflation index. One can also expect further increase in package once the 7th pay commission reports are accepted.
Civil Services Should Not Be attractive Because of Salary!
Of-course, the post needs rewards for all the hard work you done and do. And should pay you well to have a decent living, but the perks and allowances should never be the attraction for aiming for Civil Services. As the name suggests, it is a service for the nation.
Scales of IAS officers (Approx.)
- Junior Scales (0-4 years)
- Senior Scales (4-9 years)
- ->Senior Time scale (4 years+)
- ->Junior Administrative grade (9 years+)
- Selection Grade (13 years+)
- Super Times Scale(16 year+)
- Above Super Time Scale(25 years+)