UPSC Civil Service Mains Paper 1 (popularly known as essay paper) is now of 250 marks. Candidates will asked to write an essay on a topic from a set of 4 or 5 options. Read the below lines to understand what UPSC has stated about the essay paper in Civil Services Exam Notification 2014. “
Candidates will be required to write an essay on a specific topic. The choice of subjects will be given. Candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics. They will be expected to keep closely to the subject of the essay to arrange their ideas in orderly fashion, and to write concisely. Credit will be given for effective and exact expression.”
Tips for UPSC Essay Paper from ClearIAS.com
Do keep in mind the below mentioned tips. Following these strategies can make a huge boost in your Essay Paper marks.
- Try to write a few essays in full during your preparation, simulating the environment in the examination hall.
- Familiarize yourself with previous essays asked by UPSC so that you will have a clear picture about the type and standard of questions to be expected.
- UPSC/the examiner normally gives credit to new perspectives and fresh analysis.
- Avoid verbosity and flowery language. Use a simple style instead.
- You may use relevant quotes to reinforce your arguments. But never try to alter the quotes of great personalities.
- A good handwriting is always an asset. If you handwriting is not legible, put some efforts in that area.
- Make your statements precise. Avoid guesses.
- The introductory paragraph should have clear indications about what you are going to write in the essay.
- You may show your inferences in the concluding paragraph.