Geography is a major part of General Studies Paper (Paper 1 for 200 marks) in Civil Services Exam Prelims. This paper will include questions from Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the world. An in-depth knowledge of Indian and World Geography is necessary to score high in Geography questions of Paper 1 (General Studies). Links are provided to buy the important Geography Books available in the market in a prelims perspective.
Recommended IAS Books for Geography – Civil Services Preliminary Exam
- Geography of India – Majid Husain.
- Oxford School Atlas – Oxford.
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong.
- Indian and World Geography for Civil Services Preliminary Examination.
- Human Geography by Majid Hussain.
Additional books for reference: Civil Services Preliminary Exam Geography
- Geography – Surender Singh.
- Physical Geography by Savindra Singh.
- Indian and World Geography: Objective Questions with Explanatory Notes for Civil Services Preliminary Examination.
- Geography: 3000 Terms And Concepts With Detailed Explanation For Civil Services Examinations – Majid Husain.
Must Read Books for Geography in IAS Exam Prelims:
NCERT books IX, X, XI, XII – Click to download NCERT Books (Free)
How to Study Geography for IAS Exam?
The best source to study Geography is NCERT Text books from Standard 6 to 12. Most of the topics are explained in very simple language in the basic text books and it’s really helpful for the exam. Other useful books for Geography topics are Text book by Majid Hussain, book by Goh Ching Leong as well TMH GS Manual (Geography Section). A good atlas is also a must. Also find recommended books for Geography – Civil Services Mains Exam.