We are including certain interesting facts and figures regarding World Geography in this post. You may add more in the comments section below. This post is also a humble attempt to raise interest in aspirants regarding geography.
Only when studying becomes an enjoyable experience, we start to appreciate the beauty of each subject. The same is true with Geography.
Geography is a wonderful subject where we see the mountains, rivers, lakes, oceans and people across the world.
One way to generate interest in Geography is to think and imagine as if you are on a world tour appreciating the geographical features in different parts of the world.
Interesting facts regarding Geography
As a student of Geography, it is always advisable to find and remember all important physio-graphical divisions like mountains, lakes, rivers etc. in different parts of the globe.
Tip: Buy a good atlas, and familiarize yourself with the names mentioned below.
- Continents – 7 : (Based on Size) Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, Australia.
- The continent with the largest number of countries – Africa.
- Continent without desert – Europe.
- All major civilizations in Asia, apart from Egyptian Civilization in Africa.
- Oceans – 4 : (Based on Size) Pacific, Atlantic, Indian, Arctic.
Read: Major oceans
- Amazon: South America.
- Nile: Egypt (Africa).
- Yangtze: China
- Mississippi-Missouri: United states
- Congo: Democratic Republic of Congo (Africa)
- Volga: Russia
- Murray-Darling: Australia
- Danube: Europe
- Largest saltwater lake – Caspian Sea (Europe).
- Largest freshwater lake – Lake Superior(North America).
- Longest freshwater lake- Lake Tanganyika
- Deepest lake- Baikal lake
- Lowest lake- Dead sea
- Highest navigable lake in the world- Lake Titicaca
- Alps – Europe
- Atlas – Africa
- Kilimanjaro – Africa
- Appalachian – North America
- Rockies – N.America
- Andes – S.America
- Ural – Asia/Europe
- Niagra water falls – North America
- Iguasu water falls – South America
- Angel waterfalls -South America
- Victoria waterfalls- Zambia and Zimbabwe
- The only active volcano in Europe – Mt.Etna.
- Atacama desert – South America.
- Amazon Rain-forest – South America.
- Divisions of Asia – South Asia (SAARC – including India), South East Asia (ASEAN), Central Asia, West Asia, East Asia.
- Tasmania – Part of Australia.
- Tanzania – In Africa.
- Laurazia – Asia, Europe, Greenland, N.America.
- Gondwanaland – India, Australia, Africa, Madagascar, S.America part of Gondwanaland.
- Number of Nations having membership in UN (193): Africa(54), Asia(47), Europe(43), N.America(23), Australia(14), S.America(12).
- Nations without UN membership: Taiwan, Palestine*, Vatican City, Kosova.
- European Union – 27 nations.
- Euro common currency – 17 nations.
- Antarctica Treaty – 1959.
- Maranon and Ucayali – Rivers which makes Amazon.
- Cape Agulhas – Africa.
- Lowest place – Dead Sea.
- Lowest road- Highway 90.
- Marco Polo (1271AD) – Traveller from Venice.