This post is a compilation of our most viewed notes on Geography, which we think our readers should not miss.
Readers can download each of the notes as PDF for free using the ‘print-pdf’ option.
Check Geography notes category, if you want to read the complete archives.
Learn Geography: Must Read Articles
- Geomorphic Processes.
- Endogenic Forces and Evolution of Landforms.
- Volcanoes: Everything You Need To Know.
- Earthquakes: Everything You Need To Know.
- Exogenic Forces and their classification.
- Erosion and Deposition: Action of Running Water and Groundwater
- Erosion and Deposition: Action of Glaciers
- Erosion and Deposition: Action of Wind and Waves
- Major Landforms – Mountains, Plateaus, and Plains: Learn faster
- Interior of the Earth: Crust, Mantle and Core
- Earth’s Crust: Elements, Minerals and Rocks
- Ocean Floor: Everything you need to know
- Major Ocean Currents: How to learn faster?
- Movements of ocean water: Waves, Tides and Ocean Currents
- Countries of the World Listed By Continent.
- Interesting Facts and Figures Regarding World Geography.
- Soils of India: Classification and Characteristics.
- Different soil types in India: Understand the differences.
- Causes of Soil Degradation and Methods for Soil Conservation.
- Urban Heat Islands.
- Composition and Structure of the Earth’s Atmosphere
- Insolation and Heat Balance of the Earth
- Clouds: How to Distinguish the Different Types of Clouds?
- Sectors of Economy: Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Quaternary and Quinary
- Factors Responsible for the Location of Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Sector Industries in Various Parts of the World (Including India)
- Cotton Cultivation in India: Important Things You Should Know
- Distribution of Major Industries: Location Factors
- Biosphere Reserves of India: Names and Location
- Geographical Indication (GI) Tags in India: Memorize Faster
- Ramsar sites (Wetlands) in India: Memorize faster
- UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites: Names from India
Books to learn Indian Geography and World Geography
The best source to study Geography is NCERT Textbooks from Standard 6 to 12. Most of the topics are explained in very simple language in the basic textbooks and it’s really helpful for the exam. Other useful books for Geography topics are:
- Certificate Physical And Human Geography – by Goh Cheng Leong (Click to buy from Amazon)
- Geography of India – by Majid Husain (Click to buy from Amazon)
- Oxford Student Atlas for India (Click to buy from Amazon)
Additional Reference Books
- World Geography: World Geography by Majid Husain (Click to buy)
- Physical Geography: Physical Geography by Savindra Singh (Click to buy)
- Human Geography: Human Geography by Majid Husain (Click to buy)
Learn Geography fast: The study plan
Geography is an important topic for IAS Preliminary as well as Main Exam. The discipline of Geography is broadly divided into Physical Geography and Human Geography. The concepts of Geography need to be applied to questions related to Indian Geography as well as World Geography.
Indian Geography In Brief: Topics To Cover
Indian Geography can be divided into three – Physical Geography, Economic Geography and Social Geography. The major sub-topics under Physical Indian Geography are Physio-graphic divisions, Drainage, Climate, Vegetation, Natural Resources etc. Topics related to environment like Wild-life, Soil, Flora etc should be given stress too. Economic and Social Geography related aspects of Indian Geography should be studied in parallel to Physical Geography. Tip: NCERT Books will turn really handy for preparation of Economic and Social Geography.
- Mountains (Himalayas).
- Northern Plains.
- Peninsular Plateau.
- Coastal Plains.
- Himalayan Rivers.
- Peninsular Rivers.
Climate + Four Seasons of India
- Hot Weather Season.
- Advancing Monsoon.
- Retreating Monsoon.
- Cold Weather Season.
- Tropical Rain-forest.
- Tropical Deciduous Forests. (Monsoon Forests)
- Mountain Vegetation.
- Desert Vegetation.
- Marshy land Vegetation.
- Minerals including Petroleum and Natural Gas.
- Wild Life.
Human Geo: Economic Geography
Study in detail about the economic activities related to Agriculture, Industries and Services in different areas of India. Learn how the geography of a region affects the economic prosperity of the same.
Human Geo: Social Geography
Learn more the details like Demographics, poverty, hunger, literacy rates, unemployment etc. from a geography perspective.