Withdrawal of UPSC application is now possible. UPSC has introduced the provision of withdrawal of online applications for various exams including the CSE.
Candidates are advised to go through the instructions carefully before filling up the request for withdrawal of the application.
Why is the provision for withdrawal of UPSC application introduced?
UPSC’s experience with the Civil Services Examination is that only roughly 50% of the 10 lakh plus candidates who fill in the application forms for the Preliminary examination actually write the examination.
The Commission has to book venues, print papers, hire invigilators and ship the documents for all the 10 lakh applicants – which turns out to be a 50% waste of energy and resources.
UPSC’s view is that if they are able to work with genuine and serious candidates, the commission can give them better facilities and make the system more efficient.
Important Instructions to withdraw the UPSC application for Civil Services Exam
- The Commission has provided the withdrawal facility from 12.03.2020 to 18.03.2020 (till 6.00 PM) to those candidates who do not want to appear at this Examination.
- Candidates are advised to provide the details of the registered application with registration-id which was completed and submitted finally. There is no provision for withdrawal of incomplete applications.
- Before making the request for withdrawal, the candidate must ensure that they have access to the registered mobile number and email-id which were provided by them at the time of submission of application.
- Separate OTPs will be sent by the Commission on the registered mobile number and email-id. Such OTPs will be valid for 30 Minutes only.
- Request for withdrawal will be accepted only after it is confirmed by validating the OTP details sent on candidate’s mobile and email-id.
- Request for generating OTP for withdrawal of application will be accepted only till 5.30 PM on 18.03.2020.
- After the final acceptance of the request for online withdrawal of the application, the candidate must print the authenticated receipt.
- Once the application has been withdrawn by the candidate, it cannot be revived in future.
- On successful completion of the withdrawal of the application, an auto-generated email and SMS will be sent on candidate’s registered email id and mobile. In case any candidate has not submitted the request for withdrawal of application he/she may contact UPSC on email-id: [email protected] immediately.
- Candidates are advised not to share the OTPs received on email and SMS to anybody.
The fees of aspirants who withdraw their application will not be refunded
UPSC has no provision to refund any fee amount paid by candidates, so in case of successful withdrawal of the application, the fees will not be refunded.
Did you submit multiple applications? Read this
If a candidate has submitted more than one application form then the higher registration-id of Application (latest) will be considered for withdrawal and all earlier applications will be treated as cancelled automatically.
If a candidate has not withdrawn the application, but not appeared in the exam, will that be counted as an attempt?
As per the notification, there is no hint that UPSC will count the attempt based on the status of withdrawal of applications.
It seems the provision is introduced as a measure to reduce the expenses of the commission.
When will UPSC count an attempt in the Civil Services Examination?
- An attempt at a Preliminary Examination shall be deemed to be an attempt at the Civil Services Examination.
- If a candidate actually appears in any one paper in the Preliminary Examination, he/she shall be deemed to have made an attempt at the Examination.
- Notwithstanding the disqualification/cancellation of candidature, the fact of appearance of the candidate at the examination will count as an attempt.
The online applications can be withdrawn from 12.03.2020 to 18.03.2020 till 6.00 PM after which the link will be disabled.
No request for withdrawal of candidature will be entertained after the expiry of the specified period by the Commission under any circumstances.
Also, once an application has been withdrawn by the candidate, it cannot be revived in future.