What are the must read NCERTs for IAS exam preparation?
We have mentioned many times that NCERT books are the best books to begin the UPSC Civil Services Exam preparation.
NCERTs being textbooks for school children, are written in a very simple and lucid manner. These textbooks are quite easy to learn and thus help you save a lot of time understanding the fundamentals.
You will get many questions in the IAS/IPS Exam directly or indirectly from NCERT Text-books.
If aspirants have enough time, it is always advised to start from standard 6 NCERT texts and read till standard 12 texts for all relevant subjects.
We get emails from aspirants to know if there is any way to buy hard-copies of all important NCERTs (Class 6-12) as a bundle.
In this post, we will help you with the selection of NCERT books.
Buy 40 NCERT Books (Class 6-12) as a set from Amazon
- Social Science Books (Class 6-12)
- Sociology (Class 11-12)
- English (Publication Language)
- 6000 Pages - 09/30/2020 (Publication Date) - NCERT (Publisher)
Click on this link. It will take you to Amazon website from where you can purchase 40 NCERT books (Class 6-12) as a bundle. This is a great choice which can save a lot of your time searching for individual books.
Which are the must-read NCERT books for UPSC Civil Services Exam?
For general studies (Prelims or Mains), aspirants need to focus on the NCERT texts on the below subjects: History, Geography, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Fine Arts, and Science.
We get emails from aspirants to select the most important NCERT texts to start with.
While all NCERTs are important, if exams are near, it’s quite natural to prioritise.
We have observed that many aspirants are confused about which chapters from NCERT texts to be studied (especially for subjects like General Science). These queries and requests are quite natural. We thought about posting an article in detail about the must-read NCERT books for IAS exam preparation.
Note: Books marked in Blue colour (bold) are more important.
History – Must Read NCERT Books
- 6th – Our Pasts 1
- 7th – Our Pasts II
- 8th – Our Pasts III – Part 1, Part 2
- 9th – India & the Contemporary World 1
- 10th – India & the Contemporary World II
- 11th – Themes in World History (Focus on Industrial Revolution)
- 12th – Themes in Indian History I, Themes in Indian History II, Themes in Indian History III
Geography – Must Read NCERT Books
- 6th – The Earth: Our Habitat
- 7th – Our Environment
- 8th – Resources & Development
- 9th – Contemporary India 1
- 10th – Contemporary India 1I
- 11th – Fundamentals of Physical Geography, 11th – India – Physical Environment
- 12th – Fundamentals of Human Geography, 12th – India – People & Economy
Economics – Must Read NCERT Books
- 9th – Economics
- 10th – Understanding Economic Development
- 11th – Indian Economic Development
- 12th – Introductory Microeconomics
- 12th – Introductory Macroeconomics, Class XII – Supplementary reading material in Economics – Introductory Macroeconomics
Political Science – Must Read NCERT Books
- 9th – Democratic Politics I
- 10th – Democratic Politics II
- 11th – Indian Constitution at Work
- 11th – Political Theory
- 12th – Contemporary World Politics (8th – Environment & Natural Resources)
- 12th – Politics in India Since Independence
Sociology – Must Read NCERT Books
- Introducing Sociology Textbook for Class – 11
- 12th – Social Change & Development in India
- Indian Society Textbook in Sociology for Class XII
Culture/Fine Arts – Must Read NCERT Books
Science – Must Read NCERT Books
For science, aspirants are advised to go through at least these selected chapters from the mentioned standards.
- 6th – Chapter 9: The Living Organisms & their Surroundings
- 7th – Chapter 7: Weather, Climate & Adaptations of Animals, Chapter 9: Soil
- 8th – Chapter 1: Crop Production & Management, Chapter 5: Coal & Petroleum, Chapter 7: Conservation of Plants & Animals, Chapter 12: Friction, Chapter 18: Pollution of Air & Water
- 9th – Chapter 14: Natural Resources
- 10th – Chapter 14: Sources of Energy, Chapter 15: Our Environment, Chapter 16: Management of Natural Resources
- Biology Textbook for Class – 11
- 12th (Biology) – Unit X: Ecology ( Chapter 13 – Organisms & Population, Chapter 14 – Ecosystem, Chapter 15 – Biodiversity & Conservation, Chapter 16 – Environmental Issues)
How to buy NCERT Books online (individually)?
- You can buy NCERT books online from Amazon, and get it delivered at the doorstep.
- You can buy NCERT books online from Flipkart, and get it delivered at the doorstep.
Note: NCERT books are available in many leading bookstores offline too.
How to Download NCERT Books as PDF?
If you find it difficult to get hard-copies of NCERT texts, you can always get soft copies in PDF form from the site ncert.nic.in.
Just like the NCERT website which offers a free download of quality books, NIOS website, as well as CBSE website, offers quality PDFs.
NCERT-based mock exams
You may check our NCERT based online mock test series with negative marking for UPSC Prelims.
What next, after finishing NCERT books?
Once done with the basic study of NCERT books, aspirants should go deep by referring books from authors like for history India’s Struggle for Independence and History of Modern India by Bipan Chandra, Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth, Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh etc.
The recommended list of IAS books by clearias.com is listed in the link clearias.com/ias-books. Let your focus be right. Happy learning!