Which are the schedules of the Indian Constitution?
Schedules are basically tables which contains additional details not mentioned in the articles. Indian Constitution originally had eight schedules. Four more schedules were added by different amendments, now making a total tally of twelve.
The post gives a brief idea about all the 12 Schedules of Indian Constitution.
Schedules of Indian Constitution
- The first schedule contains the list of states and union territories and their territories
- The second schedule contains provisions of the President, Governors of States, Speaker and the Deputy Speaker of the House of the People and the Chairman and the Deputy Chairman of the Council of States and the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker of the Legislative Assembly and the Chairman and the Deputy Chairman of the Legislative Council of a State, the Judges of the Supreme Court and of the High Courts and the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India.
- The third Schedule contains the Forms of Oaths or Affirmations.
- The fourth Schedule contains provisions as to the allocation of seats in the Council of States.
- The fifth Schedule contains provisions as to the Administration and Control of Scheduled Areas and Scheduled Tribes.
- The sixth Schedule contains provisions as to the Administration of Tribal Areas in the States of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram.
- The seventh Schedule contains the Union list, State list and the concurrent list.
- The eighth Schedule contains the list of recognized languages.
- Ninth Schedule contains provisions as to validation of certain Acts and Regulations.
- The tenth Schedule contains provisions as to disqualification on ground of defection.
- The eleventh Schedule contains the powers, authority and responsibilities of Panchayats.
- The twelfth Schedule contains the powers, authority and responsibilities of Municipalities.
PS: Earlier many acts were included in the ninth schedule to escape from the Judicial review, but after Kesavananda Bharati case, Court has taken steps to curtail that practice too.
Model questions based on schedules of the Indian Constitution
Q: Who among the following does not find mention in the 2nd schedule of the Indian Constitution?
- Prime Minister.
- Chief Ministers of states.
- Attorney General.
- Advocate General.
Ans = All of the above.
Q: Which schedule of the Indian Constitution deals with anti-defection?
Ans = 10th schedule.
Q: States which find mention in Schedule 6 of the Indian Constitution:
Ans: Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram.