This is a compilation of the GS Paper 2 model questions we provided as part of our 50-day Mains High Value Answer Writing (HVAW) Test Series in 2014. We will also be releasing the compilation of the GS Paper 1 model questions in the ClearIAS 30-day Mains Answer Writing Program(AWP) 2016 soon.
Model Questions: General Studies Paper 2
- Trace the evolution of the collegium system of selection of Judges in India. What are the main proposals in the National Judicial Appointments Commissions Bill? Can the new system affect the independence of the Indian judiciary? Critically analyse.
- Is All India Service an aberration of Indian federalism? Analyse the role of Indian civil servants post-liberalization
- Trace the reasons that led to the expulsion of Russia from G8? Does G8 truly represent the the most powerful economies of the world. Analyze
- Analyze the success and failure of Self Help Groups (SHGs) in Indian perspective.
- From a bipolar world in 1960’s and a uni-polar world after 1990s, now the world is shifting towards a multi-polar world. Critically analyze.
- What are the roles and responsibilities of Planning Commission and Finance Commission? Do they overlap each other? In case of revenue sharing, what is the say of Planning Commission?
- What are the issues and challenges pertaining to Indian federal structure?
- Distinguish between a Self Help Group and a Non Governmental Organisation. Examine whether the existing laws and restrictions in the country, adequate enough to prevent the illegal activities and funding of NGOs?
- Discuss the steps, policies and acts related with women empowerment in India.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) if properly implemented can end financial untouchability and can give millions freedom from poverty. Critically analyze.
- Analyze the Public Distribution Systems of India and its deficiencies.
- Analyze the significance of NAM in the globalized world.
- Can BRICS achieve more than what ASEAN achieved for south-east asia? Analyze
- What are the dispute redressal mechanisms between : Judiciary and Executive; Legislature and Executive; Judiciary and Legislature.
- Indian federalism is Federation Sui generis. Comment
- Representation of People’s Act is a crucial act as far as Indian polity is considered. Analyze the significance.
- After the restructuring of Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS), the Central Plan is shrinking while Central Assistance to states is increasing. Analyze the impact of this change in the background of 2014 Union Budget.
- What are the areas of contention between India and China? Assess the progress in India-China relations in the background of recent bilateral talks.
- Indo-US relations always had ups and downs. Analyse the recent issues in India-US relations.
- Though both India and US are federal democracies there are differences between them. Compare Indian constitution with US constitution and find the similarities and differences.
- Examine the changes made by the 1st constitutional amendment of India. How is first amendment linked to reservation?
- The Administrative Reforms Commission or ARC is the committee appointed by the Government of India for giving recommendations for reviewing the public administration system of India. What were the key recommendations of 2nd ARC? Analyze the status of implementation of major recommendations.
- What were the key recommendations of National Commission to review the working of the Indian Constitution? Analyze the urgency in implementing the recommendation related to executive and legislature.
- What is the definition of disability according to the The Right of Persons with Disabilities Bill, 2014? List out the major provisions in the bill.
- What are the constitutional provisions in India specifically related to social justice and empowerment?
- The Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013, is worse than the disease it is trying to cure: Corruption. Critically analyze.
- “The National Human Rights Commission does not have any teeth at all”. Critically analyze.
- Why Diaspora is special to India? List out the recent announcements made by Prime Minister with regarding Indian diaspora in his visit to US.
- How important is SAARC in establishing India’s position as a major power in the modern world? Trace the opportunities and road ahead.
- What are the criteria that needs to be satisfied to get the leader of opposition status in Loksabha and Rajyasabha? If there is no leader of opposition, will that affect Parliamentary democracy in India? Analyze.
- Distinguish the election, role and procedure for removal of deputy speaker and deputy chairman of Loksabha and Rajyasabha.
- Recent Supreme Court Judgement recognizing transgenders as third gender puts them in a strange situation: on the one hand, they are now legally recognised and protected under the Constitution, but on the other hand they may be breaking the law if they have consensual gay sex. Critically analyze.
- Does India has reservation in promotions? Examine the controversy surrounding the issue and features of the related bill introduced in Parliament.
- Comment on the important exclusions under RTI act. Should political parties need exclusion from the purview of RTI? Analyse.
- Hindi is the most popular language in India, but Hindi is not the national language of the country. Trace the major Constituent Assembly debates and Court rulings in India regarding the official languages/national languages in India.
- The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) is the quintessential people’s agency, a one-stop address for the Overseas Indians. What are the schemes of the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. Explain the salient features of the same
- Analyse the social, ethical, legal and practical aspects surrounding the Supreme court observation about banning websites with pornographic content.
- What is the significance of Biometric Attendance System (BAS) in good governance? Examine the criticisms of the same.
- Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana is a scheme of village development, but it’s a deviation from the conventional supply driven model to a a new, demand driven model. Examine.
- Compare the success of Self Help Groups (SHGs) of India with that of Bangladesh. Analyse the scope of SHGs in India without financial intermediaries .
- A Sino-Indo civil nuclear deal would have to clear substantial domestic and regional hurdles. Can Strategic Nuclear Competition and Cooperation Coexist?
- The real power in India lies with CoM as far as center and states are concerned. But there are certain discretionary powers for Indian President and Governors of states, which adds great significance to these posts. Compare the discretionary powers of Indian president and governor of a state.
- Explain the relevance of Rajya Sabha as a second chamber in the federal set up of Indian Parliamentary System.
- Indian diaspora in US is the fastest growing population among Asian countries. Analyze the social, economic and political profile of Indian Americans with their significant contributions.
- The mere reason that a Governor is at variance with the policies and ideologies of the central government, or that the central government has lost confidence in him or her, is not sufficient to remove a Governor. Analyze this statement in the backdrop of recommendations by three commissions – Sarkaria Commission (1988), Venkatachaliah Commission (2002) and Punchhi Commission (2010).
- Equal representation to all states in Rajyasabha can make it more federal and inclusive. Critically evaluate
- Brief on the temporary, transitional and special provisions mentioned in the constitution.
- Brief on the relationship between Center and States as mentioned in Constitution.
- What are co-operative societies? Brief on the significance of 97th constitutional amendment with respect to the functioning of co-operative societies.
- The recommendations of the Sarkaria Commission on Centre-State relation are relevant in the question of adequate autonomy for the state of Manipur. Analyse.
Practice Full Length Mains Mock Tests – GS2
Please go through Clear IAS Mains Full Length Free Mock Test Series – 2 (GS2) and see how ClearIAS mock questions helped our online students in the actual UPSC main exam.
How to download the compilation of mock questions?
Every note published in ClearIAS.com has a print-pdf button attached at the post-bottom and at the left-margin. Alternatively, you can use the website ‘printfriendly.com’ to enter the URL of any posts in ClearIAS.com to download a clean, reader-friendly PDF.
Sir me prelims ka mock test dena chahti hu but meri I’d wo again and again not registered btaya h plz help me…
We have sent a mail regarding the process to activate your account. Let’s us know if this solve your registration issue.
vikash Singh says
Really very useful for IAS aspirants.
ND also so true nd full with quality nd quantity.