If you have the question “What are the books needed to clear IAS?” in your mind, we hope this post to clear all your doubts. Taking inputs from toppers, a detailed list of the best IAS books available in the market for each subject in Prelims and Mains, with links for buying books online is provided here. Links for free IAS online study-materials as per the latest UPSC syllabus are also provided in this post (see last section). Take maximum benefit of the same. All the best!
Essential IAS Books For UPSC Prelims (Click to Buy Online)
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- Facets of Indian Culture – Spectrum. (Culture)
- Geography of India – Majid Husain. (Geography)
- Oxford School Atlas – Oxford. (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong. (Geography)
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth. (Polity)
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh. (Economy)
- Economic Survey (2013-14). (Economy)
- Science and Technology in India – Kalpana Rajaram : Spectrum. (Science and Technology)
- Environmental Studies from Crisis to Cure 2nd Edition – R.Rajagoplan. (Environment)
- India Year Book. (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook 2014. (Current Affairs)
- CSAT 2014 : Paper – 2 Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant (CSAT – Paper 2)
- Analytical Reasoning – M. K. Pandey (CSAT – Paper 2 : Analytical Reasoning)
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R. S.Aggarwal (CSAT Paper 2 : Reasoning)
Additional IAS Books for UPSC Mains (Click to Buy Online)
- Contemporay Essays by Ramesh Singh OR 151 ESSAYS For UPSC Mains (Essay Paper)
- India After Gandhi – Ramchandra Guha (History – GS1)
- History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur OR Norman Lowe (World History – GS1)
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja. (Indian Society – GS1)
- Development & Developmental Processes (Social Justice – GS2)
- Issues Relating to Social Development (Social Justice – GS2)
- Pax Indica – Shashi Tharoor. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- India’s Foreign Policy by Muchkund Dubey. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Disaster Management. (Disaster Management – GS3)
- Ethics In Governance. ( Ethics – GS4)
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude for Civil Services Mains. ( Ethics – GS4)
PS : Many books for UPSC Civil Service Main Exam overlap with books recommended for Prelims, except the mentioned additional books for topics like Foreign Relations, Internal Security, Ethics etc.
IAS Books for Optional Subjects and Additional Reference (Click to Buy Online)
IAS Manuals and Previous Year Question Papers (Click to Buy Online)
- General Studies For Civil Services Preliminary Examination 2014 – TMH. (GS Problem Solving)
- UPSC Civil Services Prelims in 60 days – Rakesh Dwivedi. (Revision)
- IAS Prelims 19 Years General Studies Topic-Wise Solved Papers (1995-2013) – Disha.
- IAS (Pre.) Solved Papers General Studies wih CSAT 2013 – Arihant.
- IAS Mains Civil Services Main Examination: General Studies Chapter-wise Solved Papers.
IAS Books in Hindi Language
For many of the books listed above, corresponding books in Hindi language are available in the market. Hindi medium students may check the link UPSC Books in Hindi Language to buy online at discounted prices.
Books for Other Exams (Click to Buy Online)
UPSC Books at Online Stores! (Click to Buy Online)
Free Online Resources For IAS Prelims and Mains
- NCERT Books Download.
- Yojana Magazine Download.
- Kurukshetra Magazine.
- Pratiyogita Darpan Magazine.
- IGNOU Books.
- Clear IAS Online Study Materials.
Tips regarding IAS book selection
- It’s not necessary to read 201-heavy-weight-books to clear IAS! But considering the competition and vast syllabus, there is no doubt that UPSC exam preparation cannot be done without some essential books. Quality books act as add-ons to your online preparation and helps a lot in self-study. Concentrate on the recommended books mentioned in this website along with NCERT books for daily study and use additional books as reference.
- ClearIAS.com publishes reviews on new books in the market under our Book Review section. Publishers/authors can send us samples for review. Readers too can post the reviews about the UPSC books they bought in the comment section. That will be helpful for other aspirants for book selection.
- We keep updating this page, when new books worth the time and money of candidate appear in market. So come back to check this page again! © ClearIAS.com