Books for UPSC Civil Service Main Exam overlap with many books recommended for Prelims. But Mains stage demands certain additional books as there are new topics like Foreign Relations, Internal Security, Ethics etc. We suggest a mix of NCERT Books, Government websites, newspapers along with new textbooks in the market for mains preparation. Don’t forget to read our online study materials for mains too.
The mentioned books are based on the feedback from many aspirants/toppers who found them useful for the exam. We keep updating this page when new books worth the time and money of candidate appear in the market. So come back to check this page again!
Books for UPSC Civil Service Main Exam Preparation (Click on the links to buy online)
- The Wonder That Was India – A.L. Bhasham. (Culture)
- India’s Ancient Past – R.S. Sharma. (Culture)
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania. (Culture)
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- Geography of India – Majid Husain. (Geography)
- Oxford School Atlas – Oxford. (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong. (Geography)
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth. (Polity)
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh. (Economy)
- Economic Survey. (Economy)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Science and Technology)
- Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure – Rajagopalan. (Environment)
- Environment for Civil Services Prelims and Mains – Khuller. (Environment)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook. (Current Affairs)
- Essays for Civil Services – Pulkit Khare (Essay Paper)
- India After Gandhi – Ramchandra Guha (History – GS1)
- Norman Lowe OR History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur (World History – GS1)
- Social Problems In India – Ram Ahuja. (Indian Society – GS1)
- IAS Mains General Studies Paper 2 (Arihant Manual – GS2)
- Current Issues – What’s Hot Today (ClearIAS ebook – GS2)
- Governance in India for CSE. (Governance – GS2)
- Pax Indica – Shashi Tharoor. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- India and the World by Surendra Kumar. (Foreign Policy – GS2)
- IAS Mains General Studies – GS3. (Arihant Manual – GS3)
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude. ( Ethics – GS4)
- IAS Mains General Studies – Ethics. ( Arihant Manual – GS4)
Civil Services Optional Subject Books (Paper 6 and Paper 7)
Books to Prepare Some of the Popular Optional Papers for IAS Mains:
- Sociology Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- Public Administration Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- History Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- Geography Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- Economics Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- Philosophy Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- Psychology Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- Agriculture Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
- Political Science Optional: Books for Mains Exam.
Useful IAS Books and Magazines For Free Download and Reference
- NCERT Books Download.
- Buy NCERT Books Online.
- Yojana Magazine Download.
- Kurukshetra Magazine Download.
- Buy Pratiyogita Darpan Magazine.
- IGNOU Books Download.
- IAS Books Mains General Studies – For more reference in GS1, GS2, G3 and G4.
- Free IAS Study Materials for UPSC Prelims and Mains.