Civil Services Main Exam (written exam) is the second stage in the selection process for services like IAS, IPS, IFS etc. Only those candidates who cleared the Civil Services Preliminary exam will be allowed to sit for Civil Services Main Exam (around 15000). Based upon the vacancies each year, around 3000 candidates will be called for the final round – Civil Services Interview.
How to prepare for Civil Services Mains Exam?
There is no doubt that a thorough understanding of General studies is vital not only for IAS prelims, but also for mains. Hence we suggest you to follow the Prelims-cum-Mains Integrated approach, we have followed through out ClearIAS.com.
UPSC CSE Main Exam Syllabus
As per the latest pattern of Civil Services Exam (2013), the exam has 4 GS papers + 2 optional papers + 1 essay paper. In addition to this, there are 2 language papers which are only qualifying in nature. (a total of 9 papers.)
Mark Counted Papers
- Paper 1 – Essay (250 marks).
- Paper 2 – General Studies – Paper 1 (250 marks).
- Paper 3 – General Studies – Paper 2 (250 marks).
- Paper 4 – General Studies – Paper 3 (250 marks).
- Paper 5 – General Studies – Paper 4 (250 marks).
- Paper 6 – Optional – Paper 1 (250 marks).
- Paper 7 – Optional – Paper 2 (250 marks).
- Paper A – Regional Language.
- Paper B – English Language.
Books for UPSC Civil Service Main Exam
Click to know more about the recommended books for IAS preparation. Build a strong foundation using basic books for each subject. NCERT texts and NIOS texts are also essential aids in Civil Services Examination at both stages – Prelims and Mains.
Online Study Materials For UPSC Civil Services Main Exam
All essential study materials and notes to supplement traditional text books for each subject are given in the link: IAS Study Materials.
Guidance and Strategies for IAS Mains
ClearIAS.com is not just a website which provides you online study materials. We are here to guide you on various stages of the exam. For right guidance and exam strategies regularly follow the Mains Guidance link. You may also go through the below mentioned posts, which can help in providing proper guidance in the right areas of preparation.
- Strategy and Study Plan for Clearing IAS Mains Exam.
- How To Select IAS Mains Optional As Per The Latest UPSC Syllabus.
- How To Write A Good Essay In Civil Service Mains Exam?
- What to Study for Ethics Paper in IAS Mains GS?
- World History for UPSC Mains: Understanding The Basics.
- Security and Disaster Management for UPSC Mains Exam.
- Indian Society For UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam.
Participate in ClearIAS Mains Test Series and Answer Writing Practice for FREE!
Irrespective your degrees, knowledge and skills what speaks about you in a UPSC mains exam is your answer sheet. So it is extremely important to frame your answers in the most impressive way, within the prescribed time limit. How to achieve that? Participate in ClearIAS Mains Test Series, which is completely free at the moment. Aspirants can browse the archives of ClearIAS UPSC Mains Test Series to see model answers/feedback.