Supreme Court judgments often set highly important precedents which in fact serve as a law (case law). The second edition of the book ‘Important Judgments that transformed India’ helps all Indian Polity lovers to learn 40 landmark judgments which changed India. Read to know more.
The way democracy now functions in India owes a lot to many Supreme Court judgments.
It is quite interesting to learn how the Supreme Court judgments protected the essence of the Indian Constitution, strengthened democracy, and transformed the lives of ordinary citizens of India.
The book “Important Judgments that transformed India” presents an easy understanding of the landmark court cases that everyone needs to know about.
40 Important Judgments that Transformed India: List of Cases
- Romesh Thappar v. State of Madras (1950)
- State of Madras v. Smt. Champakam Dorairajan (1951)
- K. M. Nanavati v. State of Maharashtra (1959)
- Berubari Union v. Unknown (1960)
- Kedarnath Singh v. State of Bihar (1962)
- I. C. Golaknath and Others v. State of Punjab and Another (1967)
- Keshavananda Bharati Sripadagalvaru v. State of Kerala (1973)
- ADM, Jabalpur v. Shivkant Shukla (1976)
- Maneka Gandhi v. Union of India (1978)
- Bachan Singh v. State of Punjab (1980)
- Minerva Mills Ltd v. Union of India (1980)
- Mohd. Ahmad Khan v. Shah Bano Begum and others (1985)
- Dr. D. C. Wadhwa and others v. State of Bihar and others (1986)
- M. C. Mehta v. Union of India and others (1986)
- Mohini Jain v. State of Karnataka (1989)
- Indira Sawhney and others v. Union of India (1992)
- S. R. Bommai v. Union of India (1994)
- L. Chandra Kumar v. Union of India (1997)
- Vishakha and others v. State of Rajasthan (1997)
- Vineet Narain and others v. Union of India (1997)
- Three Judges Cases (1981, 1993, 1998)
- Prakash Singh and others v. Union of India and others (2006)
- M. Nagaraj and others v. Union of India (2006)
- Lily Thomas v. Union of India and others (2013)
- T. S. R. Subramanian and others v. Union of India and others (2013)
- National Legal Services Authority v. Union of India (2014)
- Shreya Singhal v. Union of India (2015)
- Shayara Bano v. Union of India and others (2016)
- Justice K. S. Puttaswamy (Retd.) and another v. Union of India and others (2017)
- Indian Young Lawyers Association v. the State of Kerala (2018)
- Joseph Shine v. Union of India (2018)
- Navtej Singh Johar and others v. Union of India (2018)
- Anuradha Bhasin v. Union of India and others (2020)
- Rambabu Singh Thakur v. Sunil Arora and others (2020)
- Internet and Mobile Association of India v. Reserve Bank of India (2020)
- Laxmibai Chandaragi and another v. State of Karnataka and others (2021)
- Mohammad Salimullah and another v. Union of India and others (2021)
- Farzana Batool v. Union of India and others (2021)
- Kerala Union of Working Journalists v. Union of India and others (2021)
- Barun Chandra Thakur v. Master Bholu and another (2022)
100+ Landmark Supreme Court Judgments in Brief
This book includes a lot of additional judgments. The summary of 100+ landmark Supreme Court judgments is given in table format for quick learning and revision.
Some of the other cases included in this book include:
- AK Gopalan Vs State of Madras (1950)
- State of Madras Vs Smt. Champakam Dorairajan (1951)
- Shankari Prasad Vs Union of India (1951)
- M. P. Sharma And Others Vs Satish Chandra (1954)
- Kharak Singh Vs The State Of U.P. & Others (1962)
- Sajjan Singh Vs State of Rajasthan (1965)
- Hussainara Khatoon & Ors Vs Home Secretary, State Of Bihar (1979)
- S.P. Gupta vs. President of India and others (1981)
- Indian Express Newspapers Vs Union Of India & Ors (1984)
- T.M.A. Pai Foundation & Ors Vs State Of Karnataka & Ors (2002)
- Jaya Bachchan Vs Union of India And Ors (2006)
- Independent Thought Vs Union Of India (2017)
- Common Cause (A Regd. Society) Vs Union of India (2018)
- Shakti Vahini Vs Union Of India (2018)
Famous Cases that made news headlines
The book also covers the summary of many famous cases that were constantly in news. Some of these include:
- Union Carbide Corporation vs Union of India: The Bhopal Gas Tragedy Case (1989)
- I.R.Coelho vs the State of Tamil Nadu and Others: The I. R. Coelho Case (2007)
- People’s Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) vs Union of India: The Nota Case (2013):
- Manoharl Lal Sharma vs Narendra Damodardas Modi: The Rafale Case (2018)
- M Siddiq vs Mahant Suresh Das: The Ayodhya Case (2019)
Cases Laws: Conflict Areas vs Judgments
In exams, reverse thinking is also tested. That means with respect to a particular topic, you may need to mention all related case laws.
For example, in UPSC CSE Mains 2022, the Commission had asked to mention case laws connected with Environment. In another question, UPSC asked to write case laws connected with the Representation of People’s Act.
The Important Judgments that transformed India (IJTTI) book includes special tables which compile such case laws. This will be extremely useful in UPSC/Law exams.
Appendices in the book Important Judgments that Transformed India 2nd Edition
- Appendix-1: 100+ Landmark Supreme Court Judgments in Brief
- Appendix-2: Famous Cases that made news headlines
- Appendix-3: Conflict Areas v. Judgments
- Appendix-4: Mindmaps Which Help You Understand the Indian Polity
- Appendix-5: Indian Judicial Doctrines – Principles of Constitutional Law Explained
- Appendix-6: Common Legal Terms
- Appendix-7: Previous Years’ Solved UPSC CSE (Prelims) Questions
- Appendix-8: Previous Years’ Solved UPSC CSE (Mains) Questions
Salient Features of the Important Judgments that Transformed India 2 Edition
- A detailed overview of 40 landmark Supreme Court judgments.
- An additional compilation of 100+ Supreme Court judgments with respect to the main area of conflict.
- The complicated legal context behind various Supreme Court cases is made simple and easy to understand.
- Each chapter is divided into introduction, background, arguments, judgment, importance and impact.
Special Attractions of the 2nd Edition of IJTTI
- A lot of value-added content to make your answers stand out.
- Each chapter starts with thought-provoking questions to understand the case’s significance.
- Learn from easy-to-understand tables and mindmaps.
- Master Judicial Doctrines and Judicial Terms.
- Revise UPSC Civil Services Preliminary and Main Examination Previous Year Questions and Answers from the topic.
- Author: Alex Andrews George
- Publisher: McGraw Hill
- Language: English
- Paperback: 320 pages
- ISBN-10: 9355321295
- ISBN-13: 9789355321299