UPSC Mains 2018 – Download GS2 Question Paper – UPSC conducted the General Studies Paper 2 (GS2) Paper, as part of Civil Services Main Exam 2018 on 29-09-2018. Aspirants can now download General Studies Paper 2 (GS2) Question Paper (scroll down and use the print-PDF option).
GENERAL STUDIES PAPER 2: UPSC Civil Services Mains Examination – 2018
- Total Marks: 250 marks, Time duration: 3 hours.
- There are 20 questions printed both in ENGLISH and HINDI.
- All questions are compulsory.
- The number of marks carried by a question/part is printed against it.
- Answers must be written in the medium authorized in the admission certificate which must be stated clearly on the cover of this question-cum-answer (QCA) booklet in the space provided.
- No marks will be given for answers written in the medium other than authorized one.
- Answers to questions no. 1 to 10 should be in 150 words, whereas answers to questions no. 11 to 20 should be in 250 words.
- Keep the word limit indicated in the questions in mind.
- Any page or portion of the page left blank, must be struck off clearly.
- In the light of recent controversy regarding the use of Electronic Voting Machines (EVM), what are the challenges before the Election Commission of India to ensure the trustworthiness of elections in India? (10)
- Whether National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) can enforce the implementation of constitutional reservation for the Scheduled Castes in the religious minority institutions? Examine. (10)
- Under what circumstances can the Financial Emergency be proclaimed by the President of India? What consequences follow when such a declaration remains in force? (10)
- Why do you think the committees are considered to be useful for parliamentary work? Discuss, in this context, the role of the Estimates Committee. (10)
- “The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) has a very vital role to play.” Explain how this is reflected in the method and terms of his appointment as well as the range of powers he can exercise. (10)
- “Policy contradictions among various competing sectors and stakeholders have resulted in inadequate ‘protection and prevention of degradation to the environment.” Comment with relevant illustrations.
- Appropriate local community level healthcare intervention is a prerequisite to achieve ‘Health for All’ in India. Explain.
- E-governance in not only about utilization of the power of new technology but also much about the critical importance of the ‘use value’ of information. Explain. (10)
- “India’s relations with Israel have, of late, acquired a depth and diversity, which cannot be rolled back.” Discuss. (10 )
- A number of outside powers have entrenched themselves in Central Asia, which is a zone of interest to India. Discuss the implications, in this context, of India’s joining the Ashgabat Agreement, 2018. (10)
- Whether the Supreme Court Judgement (July 2018) can settle the political tussle between the Lt. Governor and elected government of Delhi? Examine. (15)
- How far do you agree with the view that tribunals curtail the jurisdiction of ordinary courts? In view of the above, discuss the constitutional validity and competency of the tribunals in India. (15)
- Indian and USA are two large democracies. Examine the basic tenets on which the two political systems are based.
- How is the Finance Commission of India constituted? What do you know about the terms of reference of the recently constituted Finance Commission? Discuss. (15)
- Assess the importance of the Panchayat system in India as a part of local government. Apart from government grants, what sources the Panchayats can look out for financing developmental projects? (15)
- The multiplicity of various commissions for the vulnerable sections of the society leads to problems of overlapping jurisdiction and duplication of functions. Is it better to merge all commissions into an umbrella Human Rights Commission? Argue your case. (15)
- How far do you agree with the view that the focus on the lack of availability of food as the main cause of hunger takes the attention away from ineffective human development policies in India? (15)
- The Citizen’s Charter is an ideal instrument of organisational transparency and accountability, but it has its own limitations. Identify the limitations and suggest measures for greater effectiveness of the Citizen’s Charters. (15)
- What are the key areas of reform if the WTO has to survive in the present context of ‘Trade War’, especially keeping in mind the interest of India? (15)
- In what ways would the ongoing US-Iran Nuclear Pact Controversy affect the national interest of India? How should India respond to its situation? (15)
UPSC CSE General Studies Paper 2 (GS2) Question Paper: Analysis
Back to the basics – that’s the first impression of UPSC CSE General Studies Paper 2 (GS2).
There were many conceptual questions based on static portions of the syllabus like Parliamentary Committees, CAG, Financial Emergency etc. Alteast 4 or 5 questions could have been answered from textbooks like ‘Indian Polity’ by Laxmikanth.
Equally important is that at least 8 questions could have been answered directly from the online study materials provided by ClearIAS. Many similar questions can also be found in ClearIAS Mock Question Papers for UPSC Mains (and our archives). This once again proves our topic selection expertise, considering that we provide only what is most necessary for UPSC.
We feel the most of the questions of GS2 are of good standard, evoking opinion from the candidates on many items recently in news.
Feel free to post your feedback about the question paper in the comment section below.
Amazing clear ias I m preparing for 2019 pls keep guiding me with your valuable current affairs through emails pls don’t stop to sending me new current affairs and questions related to upsc thanks keep in touch with me for my study
Can u mail me [email protected]
Deepak kumar patel says
Please provide scanned pdf paper. Plz
TINKU KUMAR says
Sir plz provide me daily current affairs based Questions .
Thanku so much ..clear ias
Anantha krishnan says
Is there any way to get my daily written answers checked for improving myself?
Anantha Krishnan says
Any way to get my daily written answers checked for improving further in writing?