National Security of India is a topic of high importance. Apart from the defense and paramilitary forces in India, various intelligence and investigation agencies too play their part.
India’s Internal Security is a topic specifically mentioned in UPSC Mains General Studies Paper 3.
Though External Security is not specifically mentioned, as a Civil Services aspirant it is always good to be updated with current topics of national importance.
PS: We have already published related articles about security forces which include the Defense Forces and Paramilitary Forces of India. Also, have a look at the Various Security Forces and Agencies and Their Mandate.
India’s Intelligence and Investigation Agencies
- Intelligence Bureau(IB) – Internal Intelligence
- Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) – External Intelligence – Similar to CIA of US
- National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO)
- Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA)
- Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- National Technical Research Organisation
- Defence Intelligence Agency
- Joint Cipher Bureau
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
- All India Radio Monitoring Service
- Signals Intelligence Directorate
- Aviation Research Centre
- Directorate of Air Intelligence
- Directorate of Navy Intelligence
- Directorate of Income Tax (Intelligence and Criminal Investigation)
- Directorate General of Income Tax Investigation
- National Investigation Agency – Central agency to combat terrorism
- Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) – Similar to FBI of US
Other Law Enforcement Agencies
- Directorate of Enforcement (ED).
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU).
there is Military Intelligence Agency also which deals with Intelligence related issues of Indian Army, not included in the above list.
This note is not sufficient for UPSC examination. please include more information about the organization.
We will be updating this section soon.
No military intelligence here.. It’s only 22 intelligence & investigation agency.. I think India as more than this.. Please update soon as possible