India’s Internal Security is a topic specifically mentioned in UPSC Mains General Studies Paper 3. Though External Security is not specifically mentioned, as a Civil Services aspirant it is always good to be updated with current topics of national importance.
National Security of India is a topic of high importance. Apart from the defense and paramilitary forces in India, various intelligence and investigation agencies too play their part.
PS: We have already published related articles about security forces which include the Defense Forces and Paramilitary Forces of India. Also, have a look at the Various Security Forces and Agencies and Their Mandate.
India’s Intelligence and Investigation Agencies
- Intelligence Bureau(IB) – Internal Intelligence
- Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) – External Intelligence – Similar to CIA of US
- National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO)
- Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA)
- Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- National Technical Research Organisation
- Defence Intelligence Agency
- Joint Cipher Bureau
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence
- All India Radio Monitoring Service
- Signals Intelligence Directorate
- Aviation Research Centre
- Directorate of Air Intelligence
- Directorate of Navy Intelligence
- Directorate of Income Tax (Intelligence and Criminal Investigation)
- Directorate General of Income Tax Investigation
- National Investigation Agency – Central agency to combat terrorism
- Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) – Similar to FBI of US
OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
- Directorate of Enforcement (DE).
- Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB).
- Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU).