For ease of convenience, we are dividing the books for UPSC Civil Service Preliminary Exam preparation into two categories – Essential and Reference. Books tagged ‘essential’ are fundamental books which will be highly useful to build your basics. Once you are thorough with these basic books, if you have time, you may check ‘reference books’ for additional knowledge.
Also, don’t miss the links of IAS manuals, previous year question papers, free online resources for Prelims and Mains etc. The mentioned books are based on the feedback from many aspirants/toppers who found them useful for the exam. We keep updating this page, when new books worth the time and money of candidate appear in market. So come back to check this page again!
Essential Books For IAS Prelims – GS/CSAT (Click on the links to buy online)
- History Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Struggle For Independence – Bipan Chandra. (History)
- India’s Ancient Past – R.S. Sharma. (History)
- History Of Medieval India – Satish Chandra. (History)
- The Wonder That Was India – A.L. Bhasham. (Culture)
- Indian Art and Culture – Nitin Singhania. (Culture)
- Geography of India – Majid Husain. (Geography)
- Oxford School Atlas – Oxford. (Geography)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography – Goh Cheng Leong. (Geography)
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations – M. Laxmikanth. (Polity)
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh. (Economy)
- Economic Survey. (Economy)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Science and Technology)
- Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure – Rajagopalan. (Environment)
- Environment for Civil Services Prelims and Mains – Khuller. (Environment)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook. (Current Affairs)
- CSAT Paper – 2 Manual by TMH or CSAT-II – Arihant (CSAT – Paper 2)
- Analytical Reasoning – M. K. Pandey (CSAT – Paper 2: Analytical Reasoning)
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R. S.Aggarwal (CSAT Paper 2: Reasoning)
IAS Manuals and Previous Year Question Papers (Click on the links to buy online)
- General Studies For Civil Services Preliminary Examination – TMH. (GS Problem Solving)
- UPSC Civil Services Prelims in 60 days – Rakesh Dwivedi. (Revision)
- IAS Prelims 22 Years General Studies Topic-Wise Solved Papers – Disha.
- IAS (Pre.) Solved Papers General Studies wih CSAT Papers – Arihant.
Most Read Books for IAS Prelims: Subject-Specific List
- IAS Books Prelims – History.
- IAS Books Prelims – Geography.
- IAS Books Prelims – Indian Polity.
- IAS Books Prelims – Economics.
- IAS Books Prelims – Science And Technology.
- IAS Books Prelims – Environment.
- IAS Books Prelims – Current Affairs.
- IAS Books Prelims – General Studies Complete Guides / Question Papers.
- IAS Books Prelims – Logical Comprehension.
- IAS Books Prelims – English Language Comprehension.
- IAS Books Prelims – Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability.
- IAS Books Prelims – Quantitative and Basic Numeracy.
- IAS Books Prelims – Data Interpretation.
- IAS Books Prelims – Decision Making and Problem Solving.
- IAS Books Prelims – Interpersonal Skills including communication skills.
- IAS Books Prelims – CSAT Paper 2 Complete Guides / Question Papers.
Note: If you are running short of time to finish the syllabus before exam, you may better focus on concise books instead of bulky ones. You can use Modern India by Spectrum (Rajiv Ahir IPS) then, which is a small book which covers almost all major points given in Modern India by Bipan Chandra. Similarly, you may just focus on Indian art and culture by Nithin Singhania IAS, for culture topics.
Free Online Resources For IAS Prelims and Mains
- NCERT Books Download.
- Buy NCERT Books Online.
- Yojana Magazine Download.
- Kurukshetra Magazine Download.
- Buy Pratiyogita Darpan Magazine.
- IGNOU Books Download.
- Clear IAS Online Study Materials.
Books for Other Exams (Click on the links to buy online)
Links of UPSC Books at online Stores! (Click on the links to buy online)
- IAS Books in Hindi: List of Useful Books For Hindi Medium Aspirants.
- Latest IAS Books: Click To Buy New Releases For UPSC Preparation.
- Recommended list of UPSC books available in Flipkart.
- Full list of UPSC books available in Flipkart.
- Full list of UPSC books available in Amazon.
UPSC Prelims Mock Test Series
As you may know, only when tested in an exam atmosphere with negative marking, you can improve the ability to deliver in the actual exam hall. Try for free the UPSC Prelims online mock exams by Clear IAS. This new innovative platform integrates learning with test-taking. You would be surprised to find how fast you can learn!