IAS/IPS aspirants are advised to take a note of the important dates regarding UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam 2017. The Civil Services Prelims will be held on 18th June 2017. The official notification was published on 22nd February 2017. Links are provided in this article to guide aspirants about IAS books, mock exams, IAS exam eligibility etc.
UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam 2017 Date
|The official notification out on:||22nd February 2017|
|Final date for submitting the application form:||17th March 2017|
|The Civil Services Exam 2017 (Prelims):||18th June 2017|
|The Civil Services Exam 2017 (Main Exam):||28th October 2017|
Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Exam
The Civil Services Preliminary exam comprises of two compulsory papers of 200 marks each (General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II). The questions will be of multiple choice, objective type. The marks in prelims will not be counted for final ranking, but just for qualification for the main exam.
The Commission will draw a list of candidates to be qualified for Civil Service (Main) Examination based on the criterion of minimum qualifying marks of 33% in General Studies PaperII of Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination and total qualifying marks of General Studies Paper-I of Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination as may be determined by the Commission.
UPSC Syllabus for Paper I – (200 marks) Duration: Two hours (Counted for the merit rank in the Prelims)
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science.
UPSC Syllabus for Paper II- (200 marks) Duration: Two hours (Not counted for the merit rank in Prelims but a qualifying Paper; just needs 33% marks)
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability.
- Decision-making and problem-solving.
- General mental ability.
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level).
ClearIAS UPSC Prelims Online Test Series 2017: Boost Your UPSC Prelims Score!
ClearIAS UPSC Prelims Online Mock Test Series integrate learning with test-taking and help you learn faster. More than 50,000 aspirants registered within a short span of time for ClearIAS UPSC Prelims Test Series acknowledging the quality of our tests. Take a free ClearIAS Prelims Mock Test and explore the features.
More than 100 marks worth questions were asked in UPSC Prelims 2016 – directly or indirectly – which had asked in ClearIAS Prelims Test Series 2016. This had helped a lot of our students who enrolled for ClearIAS Prelims Test Series 2016 to clear UPSC Prelims 2016 with ease. Enroll now for ClearIAS Prelims Test Series 2017 to get the early advantage.