General Studies 3 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam consists of the below major areas : Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management. Detailed syllabus as provided by UPSC is as below:
General Studies 3 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains
- Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
- Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
- Government Budgeting.
- Land reforms in India.
- Effects of liberalization on the economy
- changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial growth.
- Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
- Investment models.
- Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country
- Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage
- Transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related constraints
- e-technology in the aid of farmers
- Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices
- Public Distribution System– objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping;
- issues of buffer stocks and food security
- Technology missions
- economics of animal-rearing.
- Food processing and related industries in India– scope and significance, location, upstream and downstream requirements, supply chain management.
Science and Technology
- Developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
- Achievements of Indians in science & technology
- Indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
- Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology
- Issues relating to intellectual property rights.
Biodiversity and Environment
Disaster and disaster management.
- Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
- Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
- Challenges to internal security through communication networks
- Role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges
- Basics of cyber security
- Money-laundering and its prevention
- Security challenges and their management in border areas
- Linkages of organized crime with terrorism
- Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
Reference Books for General Studies Paper 3 [Suggestions by ClearIAS.com]
The basic book-list recommended by many toppers is provided in the link IAS Books for UPSC Mains. If you need additional books/weblinks for reference, the below mentioned links might turn useful. Tip : You can search/buy online these books using the Flipkart/Amazon Search Box provided in this website. (Right Side Bar)
- NCERT Class X – Understanding Economic Development, NCERT Class XI – Indian Economic Development (All Chapters 1 to 10) and NCERT Class XII – Macroeconomics, NCERT Class VIII Geography text, Resources and Development.
- A book like Science &Technology for Civil Services Examinations by A.K. Singh.
- Science and Technology in India (Spectrum).
- Security Management: UPSC Civil Services Main Examination by Shamna Hussain.
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Biodiversity, Environment and Disaster Management: UPSC Civil Services Main Examination by Shamna Hussain
- Newspapers like The Hindu Business Line, Business Standard or Economic Times.
- Five Year Plan from Planning Commission Website : https://planningcommission.nic.in.
- Budget from https://indiabudget.nic.in/.
- Economic Survey. (Economy)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Science and Technology)
- Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure – Rajagopalan. (Environment)
- Environment for Civil Services Prelims and Mains – Khuller. (Environment)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook. (Current Affairs)
- ‘State of India Agriculture’ reports on https://agricoop.nic.in.
- Union Ministries of Water Resources (https://wrmin.nic.in).
- Union Ministry of Power (https://powermin.nic.in).
- Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Food Security Aspects : https://www.nfsm.gov.in.