General Studies 3 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam consists of the below major areas : Technology, Economic Development, Bio diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management. Detailed syllabus as provided by UPSC is as below:
General Studies 3 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains
• Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
• Inclusive growth and issues arising from it.
• Government Budgeting.
• Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country, different types of irrigation and
irrigation systems storage, transport and marketing of agricultural produce and issues and related
constraints; e-technology in the aid of farmers
• Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution
System- objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security;
Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
• Food processing and related industries in India- scope and significance, location, upstream and
downstream requirements, supply chain management.
• Land reforms in India.
• Effects of liberalization on the economy, changes in industrial policy and their effects on industrial
• Infrastructure: Energy, Ports, Roads, Airports, Railways etc.
• Investment models.
• Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
• Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new
• Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and
issues relating to intellectual property rights.
• Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment
• Disaster and disaster management.
• Linkages between development and spread of extremism.
• Role of external state and non-state actors in creating challenges to internal security.
• Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention
• Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with
• Various Security forces and agencies and their mandate.
Reference Books for General Studies Paper 3 [Suggestions by ClearIAS.com]
The basic book-list recommended by many toppers is provided in the link IAS Books for UPSC Mains. If you need additional books/weblinks for reference, the below mentioned links might turn useful. Tip : You can search/buy online these books using the Flipkart/Amazon Search Box provided in this website. (Right Side Bar)
- NCERT Class X – Understanding Economic Development, NCERT Class XI – Indian Economic Development (All Chapters 1 to 10) and NCERT Class XII – Macroeconomics, NCERT Class VIII Geography text, Resources and Development.
- A book like Science &Technology for Civil Services Examinations by A.K. Singh.
- Science and Technology in India (Spectrum).
- Security Management: UPSC Civil Services Main Examination by Shamna Hussain.
- India’s National Security: A Reader. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Challenges to Internal Security of India. (Internal Security – GS3)
- Biodiversity, Environment and Disaster Management: UPSC Civil Services Main Examination by Shamna Hussain
- Newspapers like The Hindu Business Line, Business Standard or Economic Times.
- Five Year Plan from Planning Commission Website : https://planningcommission.nic.in.
- Budget from https://indiabudget.nic.in/.
- Economic Survey. (Economy)
- Science and Technology in India – TMH. (Science and Technology)
- Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure – Rajagopalan. (Environment)
- Environment for Civil Services Prelims and Mains – Khuller. (Environment)
- India Year Book (Current Affairs)
- Manorama Yearbook. (Current Affairs)
- ‘State of India Agriculture’ reports on https://agricoop.nic.in.
- Union Ministries of Water Resources (https://wrmin.nic.in).
- Union Ministry of Power (https://powermin.nic.in).
- Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Food Security Aspects : https://www.nfsm.gov.in.