General Studies 4 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam consists of the below major areas : Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude. Details of syllabus as provided by UPSC is as below : This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitude and approach to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life and his problem solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by him in dealing with society. Questions may utilise the case study approach to determine these aspects. The following broad areas will be covered :
• Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in human actions;
dimensions of ethics; ethics in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the
lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of family, society and
educational institutions in inculcating values.
• Attitude: content, structure, function; its influence and relation with thought and behaviour; moral and
political attitudes; social influence and persuasion.
• Aptitude and foundational values for Civil Service , integrity, impartiality and non-partisanship,
objectivity, dedication to public service, empathy, tolerance and compassion towards the weaker sections.
• Emotional intelligence-concepts, and their utilities and application in administration and governance.
• Contributions of moral thinkers and philosophers from India and world.
• Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems; ethical concerns
and dilemmas in government and private institutions; laws, rules, regulations and conscience as
sources of ethical guidance; accountability and ethical governance; strengthening of ethical and moral
values in governance; ethical issues in international relations and funding; corporate governance.
• Probity in Governance: Concept of public service; Philosophical basis of governance and probity;
Information sharing and transparency in government, Right to Information, Codes of Ethics, Codes of
Conduct, Citizen’s Charters, Work culture, Quality of service delivery, Utilization of public funds,
challenges of corruption.
• Case Studies on above issues.
Reference Books for General Studies Paper 4 [Suggestions by ClearIAS.com]
The basic book-list recommended by many toppers is provided in the link IAS Books for UPSC Mains. If you need additional books/weblinks for reference, the below mentioned links might turn useful. Tip : You can search/buy online these books using the Flipkart Seach Box provided in this website. (Right Side Bar)
- 4rth Report of 2nd ARC.
- The Handbook on Building Motivation and Positive Attitudes in Government Organisations published by the Centre for Good Governance, Hyderabad.
- Moral Attitudes.
- Probity in Governance – Law Ministry.
- Corporate Governance – Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Emotional Intelligence in Bureaucracies.