General Studies 4 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam consists of the below major areas: Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude. Details of the syllabus as provided by UPSC are as below :
General Studies 4 Paper Syllabus for UPSC Civil Services Mains
This paper will include questions to test the candidates’ attitudes and approaches to issues relating to integrity, probity in public life, and his/her problem-solving approach to various issues and conflicts faced by in dealing with society.
Questions may utilize the case study approach to determine these aspects.
The following broad areas will be covered:
Ethics and Human Interface:
- Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants, and consequences of Ethics in human actions
- Dimensions of ethics
- Ethics in private and public relationships
- Human Values
- Lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators
- Role of family, society, and educational institutions in inculcating values
- Attitude: content, structure, function
- Attitude and its influence and relation with thought and behavior
- Moral and political attitudes
- Social influence and persuasion
- Aptitude and Foundational Values for Civil Service
- Impartiality and non-partisanship
- Dedication to public service
- Tolerance and compassion towards the weaker sections
- Emotional intelligence – concepts
- Utilities and application of Emotional Intelligence in administration and governance
Moral Thinkers and Philosophers
Civil Service Values
- Public/Civil service values and Ethics in Public administration: Status and problems
- Ethical concerns and dilemmas in government and private institutions
- Laws, rules, regulations and conscience as sources of ethical guidance
- Accountability and ethical governance
- Strengthening of ethical and moral values in governance
- Ethical issues in international relations and funding
- Corporate governance.
Probity in Governance
- Probity in Governance: Concept of public service
- The philosophical basis of governance and probity;
- Information sharing and transparency in government,
- Right to Information,
- Codes of Ethics
- Codes of Conduct
- Citizen’s Charters
- Work culture
- Quality of service delivery
- Utilization of public funds
- Challenges of corruption
- Case Studies on the above issues.
Reference Books for General Studies Paper 4 [Suggestions by ClearIAS.com]
The basic book list recommended by many toppers is provided in the link IAS Books for UPSC Mains. If you need additional books/weblinks for reference, the below-mentioned links might turn useful. Tip: You can search/buy online these books using the Flipkart/Amazon Search Box provided on this website. (Right Side Bar)
- Lexicon for Ethics by Chronicle.
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by Nanda Kishore and Santhosh Ajmera.
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by M Karthikeyan
- IAS Mains General Studies Paper 4 Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by Arihant Experts.
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude by Access Publishing.
- 4rth Report of 2nd ARC.
- The Handbook on Building Motivation and Positive Attitudes in Government Organisations by the Centre for Good Governance, Hyderabad.
- Moral Attitudes.
- Probity in Governance – Law Ministry.
- Corporate Governance – Ministry of Corporate Affairs.
- Emotional Intelligence in Bureaucracies.
Also read: Tolerance